Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory

Gstar
Dabbler

Memory

Hi
I recently had cause to have memory changed in my pc and have taken the decision to purchase additional memory. This has caused a problem as i cannot actually determine if i have the correct memory to start with and what i need to buy. The PC is from Mesh and i cannot tell if they are being truthfull.
I have a PCI -Express Mainboard. SLI nForce 680i SLI and the Mesh spec states my current memory to be 2 x 1024mb kit) DDR2 900 MHz.
The engineer who replaced my faulty memory told me i needed to purchase PC2-2700.
I am told that PC2-2700 doesnt exist but PC2700 does, albeit as DDR which will not fit into my mainboard.
Can anyone help shed some light and also recommend what i should buy? Can i mix with my current memory?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Memory

Hi there,
He meant PC7200 (not 2700) but you can search online shops for ddr2 900 and you'll find suitable memory. Alternatively you could go to http://www.crucial.com and use their memory tool - this will definitely get you the right memory for your motherboard.
Hope that helps,
Gstar
Dabbler

Thanks for that. Can i ask another question?
I found the memory required (DDR2 900 MHz PC2-7200) on Kingston but it doesnt show up on Crucial. Kingston only offer 2 x 1Gb.
If i want to get 2 x 2Gb can i use a different memory? I.e can you use the same or better? Would you recomend anything?
Thanks again
Basically i get the impression that i must add new memory at 900 mhz or better? So would (2 x 2gb) DDR2 PC2-8500 1066 be ok to mix with the other memory
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Blimey. Well, with DDR2 you're safe getting anything faster (ie DDR2 1066, also known as PC8500) as it will run at the slower speeds, but if you're going to go for high end stuff (geil, corsair etc) check the voltage as some of them need more than usual and if you can't alter ram voltage in your motherboard BIOS you'll end up with a non booting PC... and if that makes no sense, don't buy high end ram as you only really need it for overclocking anyway.
If you use the dropdowns on the right to select your MESH model (rather than downloading the tool), does the crucial site come up with the correct (or suitable) memory? i.e. first box mesh, second box mesh desktops and the third box should list your model... I believe crucial guarantee compatibility so if you buy their recommended ram you'll be able to send it back if it doesn't work.
Hope that helps,
Gstar
Dabbler

Thanks Orbrey
Thats the trouble unfortunately, there is no Mesh option in the drop down menu.
When i get home i will run the system scan that Crucial offer and see what that turns up but by the sounds of it i should be ok with any DDR2 of 900 or above?
Thanks again, much appreciated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thats the trouble unfortunately, there is no Mesh option in the drop down menu.

There was when I went... on the home page (http://www.crucial.com) there's a set of 3 dropdown boxes below where it says 'Crucial Memory AdvisorTM Tool' and in the top one (Step 1 - Select Mfgr) you can click the arrow and Mesh is definitely in the list... ah well. If you post back with your mesh model number I'll see if I can find it?
When i get home i will run the system scan that Crucial offer and see what that turns up but by the sounds of it i should be ok with any DDR2 of 900 or above?

Yes, but it might be worth looking at the ram you have already - it should have a sticker on it with the speed and type of ram and there should also be a voltage reading, probably between 1.7 - 2.1v. Make sure you get memory with the same voltage. Other than that you should be fine.
Hope that helps,