Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory upgrading.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Memory upgrading.

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC memory from 4Gb to 8Gb; sometimes space becomes a bit of a premium. There is a spare DDR channel available. I seem to remember from somewhere in the dim distant past that sometimes fitting additional (but identical make, type and size) memory sticks from a completely different manufacturing batch causes problems, because the chips are bound to have slightly different characteristics.
Anyone had experience of this? Is it better to buy a completely new set of 8Gb sticks rather than add another 4Gb?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Memory upgrading.

The problem usually comes when the board uses memory in dual channel mode
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3751&click=true
Also check with your motherboard as it may just not be happy with mismatched memory sizes - you don't say what you have a present
It is worth doing a search to see if there are any reported problems when running with all memory slots full and whether you need a bios upgrade
nozzer
Hero

Thanks Jim. It's 2x2Gb. I've already sussed that a BIOS update will be needed. I think I shall give an additional 2x2Gb a try.
How's the Olympic preps going down your end?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

'm thinking of upgrading my PC memory from 4Gb to 8Gb

Bear in mind that you'll need to be running a 64Bit OS to make use of more than 4Gb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nozzer
Hero

Yes...  I am.  Smiley