cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory the consumers nightmare!!!

suesykes
Grafter

Memory the consumers nightmare!!!

Have you noticed whenever you pay for memory, be it hard disk, ram or bandwidth you always get less than you should.
If you buy a pint or litre, it is just that.... With memory however when you pay for what you want, you get a little less.
A megabyte is 1024k/b not 1000k/b... Now in the days of old when a monster PC had a whole 16mb of ram and a huge 6gb HDD this was ok to accept... but add it up over a few gigabytes and we get a LOT less than you would expect.
And just to show its all stacked against us... Check your downloads is a megabyte 1000k or is it 1024... You may be losing there too.
I was gonna come on with a load of numbers and impress you all with my maths ability...... But I'm really stupid and couldnt get my head around it once I got more than 6 numbers in a row, but if some clever over educated swat wants to do the maths feel free.
Do I sound bitter!!! He he.. Mid life crisis...Motorbike needs MOT gotta get it out somewhere!
6 REPLIES 6
hulls
Grafter

Re: Memory the consumers nightmare!!!

You're right of course.  It's made more irritating by the fact that Windows still calculates your memory using the good old 210 (1024), so every time you check memory on the system, it rubs your nose in it.  Wink
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You mean a Mebibyte Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
hulls
Grafter

Somebody just made that up and put it on wickedpedia!
You won't believe that a professional colleague of mine once used Wikipedia as his reference work to decide a point of law.  Wikipedia says it so it must be so.  I couldn't believe it!  As far as I can see, I could add a page to the site arguing that of course black is white and white is black, and it would be ok, and in a few months it would be an accepted scientific theory. Wink
James
Grafter

Is the abbreviation also the same?
zubel
Community Veteran

Actually, I believe the abbreviations are supposed to be MiB and GiB
B.
James
Grafter

Bah.  I so knew that aswell.
MetroNet used to sell usage as MiB. I'm not sure if any other ISP did/does this?