Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory issue advice please.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Memory issue advice please.

I'm running Win 7 with what I thought was 2 GB of RAM.
It's in 4 slots with 512 MB in each slot. When I run the crucial memory scanner it says I have the configuration shown in the attached.
Is the fact that one pair is PC2 5200 and the other PC2 5300 a problem. I'm thinking so
In system information I see that
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.0GB
Total Physical Memory  2.0GB
Available Physical Memory 1.25 GB
So my question will I see better performance if I buy 2x 1GB sticks of PC2 5300?
10 REPLIES 10
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Memory issue advice please.

Yes, if you were planning to increase the total memory from 2GB to 3GB. Other factors will be insignificant compared with increasing the total amount of RAM.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with ejs
It might be worth checking all your BIOS settings, as 750MB reserved by the system seems quite high.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

thanks
The machine is about 5 years old now and i upgraded to win 7 in the hope of better performance. Given its only used for basic stuff the performance is shockingly poor so I'm trying to fathom out why.Even on a clean install its not as fast as other machines i use of a lower spec so suspect there must be a hardware issue somewhere. I'm struggling to find out where though!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It sounds as though the on board graphics are pulling a chunk of RAM and this could be a large part of the problem.
Running Win 7 or indeed any Windows system other than 98 on just over 1GB of RAM is a not going to work.
Add onto that an modern antivirus and you are killed.
However one thing you can do immediately is to check the swap file size
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks very much for the insight.
I'm allowing windows to manage the page file automatically and it's set at just over 2000 but the recommended is 3100 so I've changed it to manual and  pushed it up to 3400 and will see if that makes any difference. Or do you think its time to buy another GB of RAM? the processor only supports 32 bit.
Appreciate your help on this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It looks as though whatever you do it will need the memory in matched pairs
Given that the memory from Crucial is £12.59 for 1GB replacing two of the memory pairs might indeed help.
However - this is heresy - have you considered Linux
Back on topic - you need to check the memory which is supported by the motherboard/bios as some of the older motherboards won't support modern memory chips despite the size being correct. The problem is that certain of the older cheaper motherboards will only accept low density modules and Crucial don't supply them
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Linux? - i tried Ubuntu and mint for fun but always come back to windows to be honest with you.
Thanks again
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: the
Even on a clean install its not as fast as other machines i use of a lower spec so suspect there must be a hardware issue somewhere.

Could be a faulty/ageing hard drive?  Mismatched memory is more likely to give you random BSODs than overall slow performance.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Well it has always been quite noisy (the hard drive) you can hear it grinding away but its always been like that from day one.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

A program like hwinfo32 will give you detailed information about the memory, such as the timing parameters.