Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Compatibility on upgrade

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Memory Compatibility on upgrade

I have been out of the market for high spec computer builds ever since I built an AMD 64 3000+ system before socket 939 came out.
Now looking at the next generation of computer games I am going to have to jump up a level.
I will be going dual core with the possibility of either SLI or Crossfire motherboards.
I want to use a lot of my existing system (hard drives, Audigy, DVD and CD drives etc.) but the bit I am not sure about is the memory. At present I have a GB of DDR Crucial Ballistix but I haven't been able to find a motherboard which will do it - am I wasting my time
4 REPLIES 4
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Memory Compatibility on upgrade

So am I right in saying you are looking for a motherboard that will let you most of your previous hardware, as well as your RAM? What was the problem you had finding a motherboard that will cut it?
I assume you are going to be doing down the AMD road.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you can stomach leaving AMD (and I would, really, believe me - the core2duos and quads are laughing at AMD's offerings at the moment) you could get one of these and a processor -
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-011-AK
all you need is mobo and proc, you can use agp or pci-e, ddr or ddr2 so it's an ideal component to build your new system round.
Hope that helps,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@orbrey - yes I had seen that one but it places severe restrictions on the graphics in the future as you can't go SLI or Crossfire
@mike - the problem is that I haven't found any motherboards supporting the advanced features such as SLI or Crossfire which accept DDR memory.
I have a nasty feeling I am going to have to bite the bullet and budget for more RAM as well and use the existing RAM to upgrade another computer to 2GB.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I think you're going to need to upgrade the RAM too, unless you went for a S939 board (don't quote me though, I've not been looking around for hardware lately :P)