Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring webspace usage

ffupi
Grafter

Measuring webspace usage

Hello
Is there a method to measure in real time, how much www-webspace is used at PlusNet?
As far as I am aware, it takes over night for the member centre tools to update. In contrary for the ccgi-webspace where it is always possible with the command-line "du -sh" to get an immediate response.
It is quite annoying, when PlusNet for itself can measure the usage of the www-webspace much earlier, and then takes action for being 4.4% over the quota.
Is this a petty attitude? Anyway, I have send an email via the member centre that i will be removing the 4.4% over the quota for to get the webpage reinstated. This is what I anyway planned today, after I had uploaded yesterday late at night, to check how much space is left. The only effect this action of PlusNet has, is that customers get annoyed and ask themselves whether this is a Kafkaesque situation reminiscent of The Trial created by someone at PlusNet.
I find this situation quite dissatisfying.
Everyone have a nice day.

5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: Measuring webspace usage

You should be able to get a good idea by seeing how much the site occupies on your hard drive but it may be slightly different due to sector sizes.
You should with any decant ftp be able to select all files and get a total file size on the server so you can check instantly
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi
Quote from: RamiDoodle

The best way to find this out, is to use WinSCP as your FTP client. you can simply right click on the folder you wanna check and then click calculate to find out the size of its content including any subfolders!

this will do?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

FireFTP on Firefox 3.04 does that as well
ramidoodle
Grafter

Thats even better!
properties including contents just realised that.
Thanks pierre_pierre
ffupi
Grafter

OK, already using free <a href="http://winscp.net/eng/download.php">WinSCP</a>: to right-click on the folder on the www-space (that is the folder htdocs in which all the files are), then click "Calculate".
Thank's for this tip.  Smiley  :). (By the way I am using free <a href="http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/winscp_portable">PortableApps WinSCP</a>, can use it from my memory stick at work for the www-space).
It calculates that I use 96MB. I have also checked the folder "logs", which is 0.7MB. So in total my www is at 97MB.
However, the PlusNet Member Centre -> "Website Settings" on the left -> "My Webspace" claims that I use 256MB. I know it takes often 24hours for PlusNet to recalculate, but can it take longer?