cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee

Maria13

Mcafee

I have tried to download the free mcafee for plusnet offer and each time it downloads the 64bit version which can't install on the 32bit os is there a link to the 32bit version as i can't find it ?
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Mcafee

I have no idea but I have just activated it on my account and will report back once I receive the email
Maria13

Is yours the 64bit os ? mine just came up with an error and when i extracted the package to a folder and tried to install it, it then said it won't work on any 32bit os i would of thought now a days both os would be included in the same installer like most other programmes  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have access to both but as far as I know McAfee doesn't have a 64 bit version and it should install on 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems
However these are the operating systems supported

Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 or later
    Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 or later
    Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) or later
    Windows 8
    Windows 8.1
http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/plusnet_protect.shtml#minSpec
Which version of Windows do you have
Maria13

This is windows 7 sp1 32bit so is up to date so can't understand it
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have removed two posts which do not provide any assistance to the poster
Please keep future posts on topic which is why McAfee won't install
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

oldjim... seeing as we are all being helpful here, clearly this thread is in the wrong forum.
please do your most important mod duties and move the thread to the correct location.. there's a helpful old chap.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I may well do once I have a clear idea as to where the problem is
Oldjim
Resting Legend

While I am waiting for the download email can you advise which anti virus you were using previously and how did you uninstall it
Oldjim
Resting Legend

What is downloaded is the standard McAfee installer and this downloads the normal installer which is suitable for 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems
I suspect that you didn't uninstall your previous anti virus software but assumed that McAfee would do it is they say in the instructions
Any decent Internet Security package includes a self protect function which will stop McAfee removing it completely
If you can advise which package you were using previously I can advise how to remove it and this should allow the install to go ahead
As this appears to be a Windows Software problem not a broadband/router problem I am moving this to the Windows Board
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@ old jim my post was to show there was a alternative to Mcafee  !!!!
so it was not off topic  !!!  Macafee is free just as is MSE . some people are not aware they are free to use any anti virus they wish
I hope it is not because of someones dislike for MSE it was removed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It was removed because this thread is how to install it not whether another anti virus is better
I know I think MSE isn't very good and that there are better free ones out there but that wasn't the reason it was removed
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you will probably need to locate a removal tool for your previous security software or antivirus program, even if it is mcafee you would need to run it after doing the uninstall programs option to get rid of it before the installer would work properly .....
@rongtw
that's like saying apples and pears are the same because they grow on trees....
M$ puts it best when they say there product is designed as a lightweight option for those who don't have access to a proper job .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Did you use the standard windows uninstall procedure to uninstall your other AntiVirus program
or did you use the proper dedicated Removal Tool for that AntiVirus
Which AntiVirus product did you remove / attempt to remove / Replace
Oldjim
Resting Legend

For the benefit of posters - as I just started the download process - the instructions say that you shouldn't bother removing your old anti virus as the McAfee installer will handle it which in many cases it can't