cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee running two instances

AlanR

Mcafee running two instances

Since Plusnet Protect updated from Version 15.0.179 to 15.0.2063 this morning, my PCs are each running  two instances of McAfee Core Firewall Service and McAfee Process Validation Service.  O&O Syspectr picks this up and reports that "Several virus protection programs were found"  Anyone any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Mcafee running two instances

It's probably not an idea you will like, but I would ditch 'Plusnet Protect'.  The week before last I saw a computer where all the data files had been encrypted by a virus.  The security software it has was the BT-branded equivalent to Plusnet Protect i.e. some version of McAfee. 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Another vote for dtiching it.

McAfee is a waste of time. There is a reason it's bundled with all new computers - its super cheap. Super cheap also means super useless.

Go with AVG or Avast - they're both free but have their reputations to uphold in order to try and convince you to upgrade. I found AVG to be of lesser quality than Avast. Avast is quite complex and they redesign the interface with every new release (makes it a pain to change settings) but i've had very little hassle with avast while it has stopped a lot of infections.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AlanR

Thanks for your comments guys.  I tend to agree with you and will definitely think about a replacement for McAfee. Still it would be nice to know what caused the problem in the first place.

Anyway thanks again