cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee or AVG

chawkins
Dabbler

Mcafee or AVG

I already use AVG. And as a new Plusnet customer... I would like some feedback on whether there is any benefit to installing Mcafee and using it in place of AVG? ... Basically do they do the same job?
26 REPLIES 26
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Mcafee or AVG

The easy answer is no.
If you are happy with AVG stick with it.
I wouldn't recommend either of them myself.
If you want to look at at some independent results I would suggest starting here http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test
chawkins
Dabbler

Thanks  Oldjim... I feel a headache coming on... having to 'plow' through all those PDF's.  Cry
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I use AVG Anti Virus Free Edition 2012.  In earlier versions under additional settings there was a facility to switch off the PC once a scan completed.  I can't see this option in the latest version.  Is it there?
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi artmo
Look in 'Scan Options' -> 'How to Scan' tab -> click 'Additional scan settings...' -> see 'Computer shutdown options'
Does that do it?
Chris
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Hi Chris,
That's funny but when I click on 'scan options' I don't get  'how to scan' tab.  You pointed me in the right direction though.  When I run a scan there is the 'additional scan settings' and by clicking it I then get the option to close the PC when scan finishes.
Thank you for your help.
artmo
MrT
Grafter

I currently use Norton Internet Security. When that licence expires I'm thinking of just using Microsoft Security Essentials. My router (TG585) already has a firewall as does my Windows XP Home. So I'll have firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware for free. Don't think I need anything else!
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
That's funny but when I click on 'scan options' I don't get  'how to scan' tab.

Sorry, i think I misled you  :-[. I can find the tabs by going into 'Manage Scheduled Scans' and clicking 'Edit scan schedule'....
However, you don't need that tab after all  :).  There's a link to 'Change scan settings' under 'Scan Options'. Then 'Additional scan settings....' brings up the dialogue box you need.
Anyway, having selected the switch-off option your way, this is now a bit irrelevant to you  ;D.
Chris
artmo
Aspiring Champion

No problem Chris. Grateful for the help.
chawkins
Dabbler

I Googled 'AVG Macafee comparison' ...to find some independent reviews. Many people seem to be saying that Macafee is a bloated program that uses a lot of resources and when updated slows down your computer. On the other hand, it is hard to find a bad review of AVG. If anyone here knows any better, I'd love to hear it.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I would recommend Avast Free Antivirus :), more info and reviews here
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=rb_content;main
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100360.0.html I wouldn't touch Avast and the latest results show it is falling behind the competition  http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Used Avast for a number of years and was quite happy with it, these days I use nothing but then again i'm not using windows.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Things I don't like about AVG:
1 - It encrypts its log files so you can't read them, and what it shows in the event history window is pretty minimal.
2 - Adding "apps" to the 2012 edition is just getting ridiculous.
CX
Grafter

I'm a fan of Microsoft Security Essentials.
I got burned by buggy, slow and expensive antivirus software in the early 2000s and for a few years ran without it, instead, choosing to routine scans with services such as Trend Housecall. During that time I never suffered a virus infection, but these days sites are using so many features that locking down the browser to avoid exploits in Javascript, Java, Flash etc is impractical.
Having tried MSE on a variety of systems, I am very happy with it. Even the single core Intel Atom with Windows 7 and an old Athlon XP with XP run well. Plus it just sits there, completely unintrusive, receiving updates silently through Windows Update.