cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee security software and Windows 8.1

PWilliams

Re: McAfee security software and Windows 8.1

I spent a good few hours researching which antivirus software to get next and I wonder how so many people on forums state that one is rubbish and another is great. How do they know? The only independent results I have seen are provided by AV-Test. They do not rate McAfee very highly. I was convinced by AV-Test results that I would go for Bitdefender. However, when searching for the cheapest price I read a few very bad reviews on Amazon from people who had big problems when trying to install it and lost control of their computers. They were then stuck because they could not get any replies from phone support. Any chance of totally losing control of the machine has put me right off. Good phone support is essential as proved by the excellent help I have received from PlusNet and Dell. Now I seem to be stuck with changing to PlusNet Protect provided McAfee but unlike Bitdefender it does not detect 100% of zero day malware. Is any antivirus software that does not stop 100% of attacks worth having? The odd 1% can cause a lot of damage. I am really confused in deciding what to do.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I would suggest looking at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ as they have a more comprehensive series of tests
Also if you go here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/other-anti-virus-software.32/
I did notice a few people having problems with BitDefender
I might add that I use Kaspersky and it always seems to be in the top few in tests. I normally buy a three user license from Amazon - typical cost £8 per user so not really going to break the bank
PWilliams

Thanks Oldjim. The thought of losing control of my computer without phone support worries me more than viruses. Without the 1.5 hours on the phone support line with  Dell when I lost control after upgrading to windows 8.1, 64 bit I would have been stuck.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: PWilliams
I wonder how so many people on forums state that one is rubbish and another is great. How do they know?

It's my job to fix computers.  Over the last few years, of the ones I fixed that have a 'virus', I'm pretty sure more of them were running McAfee than all other security software added together.  In part this reflects the fact that McAfee is a popular choice of security software and in part this must reflect the fact that McAfee isn't very good at doing its job.   
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Oldjim
I might add that I use Kaspersky and it always seems to be in the top few in tests. I normally buy a three user license from Amazon - typical cost £8 per user so not really going to break the bank

Just an aside.  If you are a Barclays Internet customer, you can get Kaspersky FREE.  I've used this route for about 4 years now.  (Login to Banking and you'll find the offer under the 'Products' tab.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.