cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee security software and Windows 8.1

brann74

McAfee security software and Windows 8.1

I have tried to install the PlusNet Security package on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC but when I launch the initial setup file I get a "This program has compatibility issues" error message. If I click "Get help online" this tells me that no help is available.
I have tried setting this file properties to run in compatibility mode for both Windows 7 and then for Vista, but neither of these tests got rid of the compatibility Issues error message.
So, I then tried the second option in the error message, to "Run the program without getting help" and this seemed to go through to installing the software. But when it had all finished there wasn't a McAfee icon on my workspace nor a quick start icon present, so I rebooted and now there was a quick start icon but this was totally unresponsive to single click, double click and right click.
Are there known issues with windows 8 and the PlusNet security software? Or has anyone else manage to get it working under windows 8?
Cheers, Peter
19 REPLIES 19
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: McAfee security software and Windows 8.1

According to this Plusnet help document it does not work with Windows 8.
http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/plusnet_protect.shtml
3. Will it run on my computer?
Plusnet Protect works with Internet Explorer and Firefox on the following Operating Systems:
Windows XP (32 bit)
Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit)
Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
Your computer needs to have the following minimum specification:
256MB RAM
350MB of free hard drive space
300MHz processor
Note: Plusnet Protect doesn't currently work with Apple Macintosh computers.
brann74

I guess that's fair enough, but does PlusNet have any plans to address the windows 8 issues?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I hope not.  McAfee is far from the best security software available; you would be better-off with a free alternative.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Yes you don't need it it's rubbish and slows things up you would be better off having the free versions of either avira or avast
brann74

Interesting, I actually use AVG Free 2014 as this includes an email scanner; I use Outlook 2010 so that I can store emails locally. I have tried Avast a few years ago but the free version didn't have the email scanner, but I haven't revisited it for a while so that may have changed with the latest free version perhaps?
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Different query to the original post but the same antivirus software and operating system.
I recently bought a new laptop and updated to Windows 8.1. The new laptop came with a McAfee trial installed.
I'm no stranger to McAfee and earlier this year started using Microsoft Security Essentials instead on my Vista laptop.
Now, a search of the Microsoft site shows that you cannot use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 and that instead I'll be using Windows Defender. Windows Defender is currently not active on my new laptop but I assume this is because McAfee is still running.
So, does anyone know if Windows Defender provides enough protection or should I opt for the likes of Avast or Avira?
Thanks in advance
Howard
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

They are the same - just a name change http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/windows8.aspx
Personally I wouldn't rely on either McAfee or Windows Defender http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
I pay for mine but in the free ones Bitdefender is probably the best at present
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows Defender on Windows 8 is a re-branded version of Microsoft Security Essentials with some of the controls disabled. 
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Another comparison site to look at is http://www.av-test.org, with a few more products being tested.
I'm currently testing out Comodo Internet Security Premium software suite on our windows machines (which is free but comes with optional crud installs which you can opt-out of) plus Immunet 3.0 for an extra level of protection on top (free also).
That's RPM to you!!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I have just moved over to Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, find it excellent, does very well in the tests, and for less than £8 for 3 PCs, you can not go wrong.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Where did you find Bitdefender Internet Security for £8  please.
I've been trying several different security packages over the last few weeks - and currently trying Bitdefender - which I find good.
The other one I have liked is BullGuard I quite liked - both are near the top of many surveys.
Mal
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mal08
I bought it of ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251401515596&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
You can either wait for the cd to arrive to get the key, or they may offer to email key over to you, they did me.

Once you have the key download BDIS installer, and insert they key
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/downloadInstaller/is.exe
Edit : Ah i see you already have the program, in that case just click licence info, enter the key,

Kind Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Many thanks Mike,
I'll be trying Bit defender for a week or so and then deciding which one to go for. So far Bitdefender seems to be doing well and is very unobtrusive.
Mal
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Your welcome
Bullguard does not score as highly in the tests as BDIS, i would go with BDIS. Smiley
Regards
Mike