Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Internet security for Mac

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

McAfee Internet security for Mac

My Norton 360 anti-virus is running out soon for my mac, and since plusnet offer free McAfee security for its customers, is the free key for windows or both Mac and Windows?  If its for windows, do plusnet offer a free serial number for mac users?
Help appreciated
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
9 REPLIES 9
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: McAfee Internet security for Mac

Plusnet's McAfee is for Windows only with no alternative offered for Mac's.
Whether Mac's need to run antivirus is a question that is often debated. Personally, I use Sophos Antivius for Mac which is free and seems to work well for me.
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jamie - did you know that beavers can catch the rabies virus, so don't get bitten while shaving !   Grin
I don't think McAfee or Norton can protect you from that !   Tongue
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Good one Purleigh!!  Grin
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my iMacs running OSX 10.8.4, I use Sophos and ClamXav, both of which will also monitor incoming connections and files etc.
Plus Norton iAntivirus which was free at the time of download, for the occasional additional full sweep.
http://www.iantivirus.com/product/
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Think i'll stick with SOPHOS looks quite good, does it work well for you?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Think i'll stick with SOPHOS looks quite good, does it work well for you?

I too have it installed on my MacBook and it seems to run pretty smoothly without too much system resource hogging.
Also have ClamXav to continuously monitor any downloads or emails with its Sentry background app. I also reconfigured the scheduled update virus defs to run on start up and not just on a particular time.
That's RPM to you!!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Is there a freeware on the net that checks your emails and puts a note on the bottom of email saying that the email has been checked for viruses etc...
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I can't think of any off hand that are free but I don't really hold much regard to that feature in an AV program. For one it is somewhat over intrusive for such a simple task as scanning incoming emails and can sometimes mess up the formatting of the message.
For outgoing emails you could always add a signature to basically say the same, if that's what the effect you want to portray. Also if you're using PN's email then it's probably already scanned for viruses.
That's RPM to you!!