cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May have made a bad move from BT to Plusnet

got2getatan
Grafter

May have made a bad move from BT to Plusnet

In April 13 I moved from a bad customer service woth BT to Recommended Plusnet and have one or two problems that will not go away. Cannot download the McAfee Plus software and all I get is message after message that my Pc is at risk. Cannot get Skype. Had no problem at all with these two when BT. Plusnet customer service is the worst that I have ever come across, if  you manage to wait an hour for you call to be answered you are then told that it's not Plusnets problem and contact McAfee or Skype. Got the same problem with Pc and Laptop and getting to the stage where I might just pay to end my contract and spend the rest of my time slagging Plusnet. Does anyone think that it is the router supplied by Plusnet that is causing the problem. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: May have made a bad move from BT to Plusnet

Some details about the problems you're having would help...
You've posted previously about McAfee - Have you completely removed any old version?  You say that you 'cannot download' the software and get 'PC at risk' messages.  Do you mean the download is blocked by something on your machine(s)?  Which application on your machine is responsible for the at risk message? Sounds like the download is completing but some existing AV software is unhappy about the file?
Skype - 'Cannot get Skype'?  What does this mean precisely?  Can't download the installer?  Cannot receive calls?  Can't make calls?  What happens when you call the Skype test services?
got2getatan
Grafter

McAfee, managed to download the software in the past then after a couple of weeks both on the wireless laptop and wired PC got a ..... your PC is at risk window....... Uninstalled the software and normally will not let me download again. Error 12152 shown. So far have only managed to get McAfee back on track after cleaning PC is by resetting to factory settings which I'm not doing again. Tried for over an hour last night to contact Plusnet support then gave up. Managed to contact this morning and told McAfee is not their problem. Advised to purchase another router but keep the receipt in case it does not solve problem, Silly.  Am forgetting about Skype at the moment and trying to sort the security out. Told after 3 months of contract it will cost £135 to go back to BT where I did not have any problems with Security/Skype so that is what I am thinking of doing..Thought AOL customer service was bad but Plusnet takes the biscuit
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you followed these instructions from Mcafee ?
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100407
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: got2getatan
all I get is message after message that my Pc is at risk.

Is the above a pop up from Windows?, if not your PC might have an infection , rather than your bb connection been the problem. I would suggest downloading ( from another machine, then on to usb) Malwarebytes, and doing a full scan to start with.
Have you tried another machine/laptop on your connection, to see if you can download the software?.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

got2getatan
Grafter

From your advice have managed to download the McAfee again. Takes some time with the broadband speed in this area but its done. Strange that  I have problems reinstalling the McAfee on both PC and Laptop, download seems to last for a couple of weeks then I start getting the error messages again and never had this problem when with BT for 4 years. Anyway thanks for putting on the right track.