Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master socket

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Master socket

I have had fibre for a while now. We have recently redecorated and some new furniture fouls on the master socket. It's been upgraded a few times, and now has the surface mounted back box, mk3 filter etc and lower faceplate. Is there anything I can do to get it to stick out less. Seen the nte5c, but cannot get an idea of how much it will stick out. Happy to replace the nte5a I have with a 5c if that's legal. I don't have any extension at all, would reverting back to original, and using a dangly filter work with fttc?

I have attached a couple of images to what it looks like.

6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Master socket

I don't have a 5C, but looking at the online image, it looks at least as protruding as the 5A.

The worst that can happen is that BTOR will charge you for reparations if you screw it up, but it sounds like you're competent, so no worries.

Going back to 'rat's tail' filter(s) will certainly be fine with FTTC - it's just that there won't be any REIN filtering as there is with a Mk 3 or 4. Chances are you won't need it anyway, and if you do, a separate BT 80B filter could be fitted.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

As you know its openreach that owns the socket and is only allowed to work on it, but it looks from the pic that it is fed from the 6 wire on the skirting (confirms when you said you have no extensions), if it was me I would see if I could somehow Smiley remove it off the wall and move it to the side of the furniture, and stick it back to the wall or if there is room under the furniture just leave it underneath and say it must have fallen off Wink    

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

You missed a trick before you redecorated. I would dig a hole and recess the surface socket. Ideally you would change the back box for the correct type but this is not essential. Whether you can do this now without wrecking your redecorating is your decision.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks. We bought the furniture on a whim after decorating. Will try the Dangly filter approach but failing that will have to live with it. Bt missed a trick with the 5c they could have made a more streamlined model....
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

They don't do much to make things look nice in peoples homes, when there was a shortage of lines, think yourself lucky you wasn't the carrier on a WB900 installation Grin