Grafter

Mandriva 2009

Mandriva 2009 released today: http://www.mandriva.com
Regards .....
19 REPLIES 19
techguy
Grafter

Re: Mandriva 2009

I'd never use Mandriva again after my install decided to go on strike (say what you like about Windows but it does usually give you an error)
lingbob
Grafter

I assume you mean you got a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner. If so, that's a known issue and there's a workaround here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata#One_editions_fail_to_boot_to_a_graphical_desktop_.28xorg.c...
Regards .....
Heloman
Grafter

Just installed it for a trial. It came as a cover-disc with the latest Linux Format Mag.
Only niggle so far is that, even using the "custom" install, it didn't give me the option to use a separate /home partition.
Also having trouble getting wireless connection.
First impression is that I quite like KDE4, despite all the negative comments I've read....
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Heloman
Just installed it for a trial. It came as a cover-disc with the latest Linux Format Mag.

Excellent magazine but it's a bit pricey IMO.
Only niggle so far is that, even using the "custom" install, it didn't give me the option to use a separate /home partition.

I'm very surprised that you were unable to create a /home partition.
Also having trouble getting wireless connection.

I don't have wireless so I couldn't comment but from what I've read, it seems to me that wireless is a problem with a lot of distros
First impression is that I quite like KDE4, despite all the negative comments I've read....

When I first looked at KDE4 I wasn't at all impressed but having persevered with it for a while, I quite like it too. The biggest problem I've found is a gross lack of documentation and a lot of experimental mouse-clicking is required to find out how it all works.
Regards .....
chillypenguin
Grafter

All Linux magazine's are pricey IMHO. But I guess that is because that can not command the advertising revenues of the main stream computer mags.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: road

Excellent magazine but it's a bit pricey IMO.

True, but its my daughter's annual birthday present to me. So she doesn't have to think what to get me each year, and I'm very happy  Smiley
techguy
Grafter

So you could say she can read you like a book then.
Grin
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules  :mand:    :mand:    :mand: ]
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: road
When I first looked at KDE4 I wasn't at all impressed but having persevered with it for a while, I quite like it too. The biggest problem I've found is a gross lack of documentation and a lot of experimental mouse-clicking is required to find out how it all works.

I've belatedly got around to reading the magazine, and there are a couple of quite useful articles:
"Dolphin: KDE's file manager" & "KDE4: Tweak your desktop".
MickKi
Grafter

Fire up a Knoppix LiveCD/DVD and run sudo qtparted, or su to root and then run qtparted.  You could also burn and run Gparted LiveCD.  Shrink your / partition to the size required and leave enough for your /home partition.  Then create a new partition, label it home and format it as ext3 or reiserfs.  Save it.  After that reboot using Knoppix (or any other LiveCD) mount your original installation partition (let's say /dev/hda1) and mount your new home partition (let's say /dev/hd2) to mount points /mnt/hda1 and /mnt/hda2 respectively (that's how Knoppix will mount them).  Right click on hda2 on your desktop and select to make it writable.  Then use good old tar to transfer your old /home to your new /home:
cd /mnt/hda1/home/<username>
tar -lcpvf - . | cd /mnt/hda2 ; tar -xpvf -

Finally, change your /etc/fstab to add something like:
/dev/hda2    /home    reiserfs  noatime  0 2

If your drive is recognised as /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda adjust accordingly.  When you reboot your new /home will be under your new partition.  Test that all is good and you can access your files.  Finally, reboot with Knoppix and mount, change to writable /dev/hda1 and delete /mnt/hda1/home.
HTH.
Heloman
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions, Mick!
I already have all the live CDs (including Gparted) so no problem there.
But I'm totally allergic to Command Line use (too old and thick, I guess!) which is why I love distros like PCLOS and Mepis where I've never needed it .
I usually just boot to root (offline) and copy/paste stuff between directories/partitions.....
However, I'll give it a go! Reckon I've a couple of years or so left in me, which might just be enough time  Smiley
Off topic I know, but I've often wondered how and where you guys learn CL "language"?
I've  tried learning from books and on the web, but have come to the conclusion that I need someone there to answer questions as I go along.
MickKi
Grafter

Oops!  I'm sorry Heloman, I keep forgetting about the darn CLI allergy.  Smiley
I am sure that there are GUI tools (Gparted, Ark and others) that will allow you to do just the same thing - I am not fully up to speed with all of them.  Perhaps someone else could advise?
I would not consider myself particularly good with CLI.  All I picked up on the way is what I found out by reading the man pages and Google for examples.  If I am recommended a command, e.g. cp to copy files or directories, I run man cp, or info cp and then read the different options that are listed there.  A bit of experimentation with the different options or the examples provided and soon enough I become familiar with it.
That's all really.  You could also read the man pages from Konqueror (not sure about Gnome) by typing man:/  or info:/ and the command you want to read about.  Konqueror autocompletes so you don't even have to remember how to spell some commands.
Anyway, these days most commands have a GUI equivalent, so if that's what you're more comfortable with there's no reason to struggle with the CLI.
jkerr82508
Grafter

Custom partitioning in Mandriva allows you to create any partitions that you want of any size you want. When you  create the second partition it may "suggest" /usr as a mount point, but you can change that to /home. In fact, "automatic" partitioning would create / and /home as well as swap.
Jim
Santiago
Grafter

I made a live CD and ran it up on my laptop but could not get the wireless connection working.
Also read a couple of reviews saying it was buggy and needs more work.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I thought you lot keep saying Linux is easy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cheesy