cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage My Mail Spam page - too cluttered?

Andrew_B
Grafter

Manage My Mail Spam page - too cluttered?

Hello,
I've been asked to look at the Spam page on Manage My Mail (http://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail), we've had feedback that it's cluttered and has too much information on it.
Thing is, I don't think we can remove any of the extra information that's on there - if we do then there'd be no instructions at all!
I propose that the Spam page be limited to display the more commonly used options:

• Choose Domain

• How would you like us to deal with spam?

• Aggressiveness of the spam filter:

Underneath these would be an Advanced button that would either reveal more options on the same page, or link to a separate page.
It's debatable as to what you should see initially so i'd like to throw the question out to the community and see what you all think Smiley
The options to choose from are:

• Choose Domain

• How would you like us to deal with spam?

• Edge Protection

• Would you like messages identified as spam to be tagged?

• How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam?

• Aggressiveness of the spam filter

• Anti Virus Filtering

• White/Black List Filtering

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Manage My Mail Spam page - too cluttered?

I'd personally go with:
- Choose Domain
- How would you like us to deal with spam?
- Aggressiveness of the spam filter
- Edge Protection
imroberts
Grafter

I personally think that the page should default to making changes that affect all domains.
With the current setup it is too easy to customise your Spam settings, assuming this will take effect across the board, without even realising that you're only making the changes to one domain.
I find that most people who receive too much Spam just want to reduce it and don't necessarily know where it's directed.
I think the ability to customise each domain separately should be under, as you suggest, an Advanced option.
Other than that gripe (which seems to annoy me far more than it should) I think your initial proposal is spot on Smiley
Andrew_B
Grafter

Thanks for the input so far, do any of our customers have anything to say? Smiley
Ian, I agree, but I don't know if i can change the functionality to do this (i'll check).. I can certainly add more text to explain though.
James, would you not count Edge Protection as an 'advanced' option - especially as we recommend leaving it on?
James
Grafter

You're probably right, Andy.
Not applicable

I too have noticed that this thread has invited no comments from users so FWIW I will add my bit after having another look at the facility.
The problem that I have is that I am very familiar with this section of the portal and I find it very clear and workable.
With reference to it being cluttered, I can't say what could actually be removed without losing functionality.
I haven't fully read up on edge protection because it is for advanced users and I don't get much spam anyway.
In summary, I might be easy to please but IMO it's OK.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I did want to black list an item today, never did find how to do this particular one, always comes from the same address, the subject line is always different  the from address <software_innovations4@stateez.com>, the envelope is one of my regular one so redirect is no good
Not applicable

Isn't it the box underneath the Approved Addresses called Blocked Addresses? I haven't had to block anything yet (fingers crossed) so haven't used it yet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

could be but as said its too cluttered, now off to look 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

managed it, but it wasnt easy, I in effect have three domains, but really one,  free-online.co.uk, idps.co.uk, me.uk  the me.uk, (where the mail is addressed to) didnt have a manage box, I had to put it in the idps.co.uk and tick apply to all domains - I have a total block on free-online.co.uk as that was badly spammed Embarrassed
Not applicable

If de-cluttering is what is required, one thing that would help to achieve this is to 'hide' the addresses on the summary/alias/redirect tabs. By this I mean have them available to view in a drop-down box. Once they are set up they don't really need to be viewed all the time - just on demand.
Andrew_B
Grafter

The problem that I have is that I am very familiar with this section of the portal and I find it very clear and workable.

Me too... that's exactly why I'm posting Smiley
Thanks to all for the input so far, I've only been tasked with taking a look at the spam page, but I'm happy to pass on feedback on the other pages too Smiley
Not applicable

Sorry - I've given myself the proverbial slap on the wrist for not reading the original post correctly.
Have taken a further look at the spam page and it all seems very clear and self-explanatory to me.
Although I have to use the drop-down list to access the page (I have a domain name) it isn't a problem because I only use that one so only have one setting to make.
James
Grafter

I wonder if this is a case where having a simple and advanced view would be an idea.
Poppy, from what I understand, you're pretty happy with the page in it's advanced mode, whereas others would benefit from a much more simplified version.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jameseh
I wonder if this is a case where having a simple and advanced view would be an idea.

Yes please!  I'd like the advanced view to have all the settings WITHOUT all the explanation text, perhaps in a table with "radio" buttons, so you can see all the settings for all your domains at once (and make single changes, or multiple changes, or global changes, easily and in one go).  Then I'd like the simple view to be even more simple, explaining what the effect of the settings will be to the end-user (of the particular mailbox or address) and not explaining all the whys and wherefores of what the settings actually do.
Actually this describes quite well what I'd like to see for the whole of "Manage My Mail" - to incorporate all the settings for everything email-wise.  Smiley
Martin