Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malwarebytes

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Malwarebytes

I hope this is in the right forum.
I use the free version of Malwarebytes. I have had no problem downloading it to my W7 desktop machine. When I try to download it to my W8.1 laptop I can't get the free version to download. I keep getting a trial version of the paid-for version.
I have removed the program and attempted to download the free version a number of times but it always reverts to the trial version.
Any ideas how I can get the free version?
18 REPLIES 18
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Malwarebytes

Does this link work?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Isn't the version the one that reverts to free version when you don't register it. I think that was the case last time I had to download it for a mate.
w23
Pro

I think you're right HMcB, I just installed it but clicked through the screens a bit quick, I'm sure the last one before the actual install had a tick-box to do with installing trial (I spotted it too late just as I clicked the install button) but after uninstalling and reinstalling that tick box didn't appear.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

ye looks like they offer you 14 free trial , then i presume it will return to  free version
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will look into it and get back to you.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How about , after you have done the initial download on your win 7 machine, you copy the download from your "downloads " folder, onto a usb stick, then do the install from the usb stick onto the win 8 machine ?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

When installing Malwarebytes, the final screen has two check boxes, both selected by default.  The top box is for a free trial of Malwarebytes Pro so you need to deselect this before proceeding.  Could that be the problem? 
w23
Pro

that's the one I mentioned above (but saw it too late).
Quote from: w23
I think you're right HMcB, I jI'm sure the last one before the actual install had a tick-box to do with installing trial

I don't really see a problem in having the free trial of the Pro version for a limited time though.
Call me 'w23'
Mav
Fixes: 514

When I accidentally installed the Trial version a few years ago I tried several attempts at uninstalling/re-installing until I came across mbam-clean from malwarebytes which, if I remember correctly, solved the issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Problem solved. Using the link given by Mav I uninstalled the trial version that kept popping up.
I then re-installed the free version making sure I checked the correct boxes during the installation and it has installed the free version correctly for me.
They don't make it easy to get their free version, do they Wink
Thank you everyone for your help on this problem.
Mav

Glad the link helped Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm surprised the hoops they make you jump through to get the free version. If they don't want you to have it then don't offer it.
Mav

As long as you don't miss the option not to install the Trial version on the last screen during installation all should be fine.
It would be better if that wasn't automatically  selected and you had to do it yourself but they'd probably lose some revenue doing it that way.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Fortunately it clearly shows 'Free' on the home page so it looks as if I've got is right.