Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malwarebytes

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Malwarebytes

I Suspect I may have a virus on windows 7 so will run a copy of malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything.
The thing is I use a dual booting system windows & Linux. Will malwarebytes only check that part of the system windows is on or will it check the whole disk and could it show false positives  due to the Linux installation ?
Any advice would be appreciated.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Malwarebytes

The LINUX geeks will tell you that they are immune from virus attacks, because it is LINUX !...
so you shouldn`t worry about that part of your disk...
any virus attack based on windows programs would, is supect, only be relevant on the windows part of the disk....
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering how you think Malwarebytes is going to see the Linux installation ?,  my understanding is that Windows 7 (and therefore the programs that run on it) is incapable of accessing most non-Windows disc formats such as "ext4" which would be default for most Linux installations.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for the feedback.
Malware bytes found a couple of things so I deleted them, oddly enough it must have altered something in my Wi-FI connection as I was unable to get online, further check showed the wired connection was unplugged but after a bit of fiddling around I managed to get reconnected.
@purleigh,
I wasn't sure how malware bytes would see my  boot up configuration as I assume that it would differ from the normal windows boot up, as you can see I know nothing about how software actually works having never worked in the IT field.
My concern was any changes made to the boot up system would leave it inoperable.
Pleased to say the problem I had is now resolved.
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
markfrompompey
Grafter

Hi gleneagles,
I have been using  Malwarebytes for many years now with dual Windows xp / windows 7 and Linux and it's always been ok with no problems.
It only scans the windows partitions.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
oddly enough it must have altered something in my Wi-FI connection as I was unable to get online, ...

I have seen several bits of malware recently that alter the DNS server settings.  This alteration seems to be confined to the connection in use.  It is being done to insert adverts into web pages at the moment, although there are many other more subversive potential uses.  If the malware is removed you still have the last changed settings which could mean that you still have the pop-up adverts (if the rogue DNS server remains operational) or you could have no working DNS (if the server is taken down) and thus would be unable to get online.