cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malwarebytes

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Malwarebytes

I have been using Malwarebytes trial version which is running out soon.  Is there any free programme that others are using that I can have a look at? The only criticism I had with malwarebytes was that it didn't operate automatically but had to be started manually.
34 REPLIES 34
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Malwarebytes

What other anti virus are you running
Did you try adding Malwarebytes to the startup list yourself
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Laptop and desktop both running AVG Free.
Sorry, don't understand what you are asking in your last sentence.  can you explain please?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As you have a full anti virus Malwarebytes is a backup
Regarding the last point
Copy the shortcut to Malwarebytes then open the start menu and click on all programs
You will see a folder Startup
Just copy the shortcut into it
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think I may be as puzzled as OldJim.
I see Malwarebytes as a tool for occasional use, complementing a full active AV system (which you seem to have).
In general I'd only run it when I suspect a potential problem, or maybe once a month at most without any suspicions whatsoever.
As such, the free version is perfectly adequate for domestic use; I never accept the trial of the full one anyway.
Running the full version automatically alongside another AV product would not be recommended.  Sad
TORPC
Grafter

The OP can correct me if I am wrong
I think the OP is running the trial of the FULL RESIDENT version of M/Bytes
which will conflict with other resident AV's in the OP's case AVG, hence the Automatic ======> manually operated (situation)
You should never have more than one resident AV running on any system, as they will conflict & give false results as well as other issue(s)

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

from the Malwarebytes web page:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

I have the paid-for Malwarebytes running quite happily alongside 360 Internet Security AV
artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Oldjim, thanks for that and that's how it is set up. Thanks also to HPsauce. I now know it is a back-up for occasional use only.
@beeceegee, you're right it seems to run alongside AVG without any problem.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I run the full paid for version along side AVG with no problems and it often will block a potential dangerous website that AVG doesn't.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Can I go back to this question again. Is the free version of Malwarebytes  permanent as I'm getting a pop-up box telling me that my trial version is about to expire?  Is there anther version I should have downloaded?
xxandy77xx
Grafter

Hi,
Scroll down the page and click the left hand link should be the free one, right hand link is the trial pro version hope that helps Smiley

https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that. Yes I clicked the top 'download' which was not what I wanted.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: TORPC
You should never have more than one resident AV running on any system, as they will conflict & give false results as well as other issue(s)

I've heard this many times and once upon a time put it to the test.
I had four, yes you read that right, four AVs running at the same time. It was rather shocking just how many didn't detect things that the others did when I put them through their paces and tried to download anything dodgy I could find.
Oddly it was McAfee and Norton that were the worst yet they're the biggest brands of AV.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

When you download Malwarebytes un-tick the box that says 'install trial version' [or something similar]  it may be on the final page of the set up - you then get the free one.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: 7up
I had four, yes you read that right, four AVs running at the same time. It was rather shocking just how many didn't detect things that the others did

So, you had 4 AVs running at the same time and some didn't detect things - maybe that was because you had 4 AVs running at the same time? Totally invalid test in my opinion. When an AV detects something it will prevent anything else from accessing the file in question for obvious reasons.