Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mal/FakeAvJS-A Trojan

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Mal/FakeAvJS-A Trojan

I really need some help.
I inherited a website for our local cricket club. I've since moved to  a new host, but it seems that I got infected with the above trojan and this has effected the other website I run. In any event users of the site have been complaining to me about wierd behaviour.
I have run anti virus (Avast) on my PC and Malwarebites and AdAware. All say my local copy is clean.
I have taken the website down now and it only consists of a holding page and 1 picture ( the club logo)
Users are still complaining that they are getting pop ups and spoof pages for anti virus.
What advice can I give them. I really can't understand why when I have removed all the content on the webserver that this problem is continuing.
The site is www.mulbartonfootball.org.uk but There is obviously a danger in following the link
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Mal/FakeAvJS-A Trojan

Nothing showing up here using KIS 2010
Perhaps it may be a problem with cached content
Alternatively - and more worrying - the users may have been infected and a hosts file redirect added for that site
Lurker
Grafter

Nothing showing up here either (Sophos 7.6.11  u4.45E)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Nothing showing with F-Secure.
Quite possibly cached content as Jim says.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You deserve a medal for bravery - I wouldn't have clicked it!
I will contact my host to be on the safe side but it looks like the malware is probably off the server now. The worrying thing for me is that all the people who go on there regularly will now be infected. ( Quite a few people were bending my ear over the weekend.
I was going to write to as many as I can apologising and suggesting they run the Spyware progs, delete cookies and try again...
Anything else you think I should do .
To be honest I feel dreadful to have screwed up so many peoples PCs
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ask them to check their hosts file just in case - most spyware scanners etc. won't pick that up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
mentalist3d
Grafter

Avast didn't detect anything either.  Have you notified your web host? If not it might be worthwhile, so they can at least check your server, and make sure their has been no back doors left open for further breaches.
Happened to me on a site running coppermine (different Trojan though), I would just e-mail your users and apologise, explain the situation, mention the increased security of your site, remind them that all sites are potential targets to those wishing to spread malicious content and it was just unfortunate that these malicious users targeted your site, apologise again, then offer them advice, such as - if you are worried that your PC may have been effected by the malicious attacks we advise, updating your virus software and doing a full scan, or downloading the following free software to protect your PC and remove any malicious content.
If you are recommending software for users to use to clean their PCs my list would be:

• Avast Antivirus

• Malware Bytes

• CCleaner

I would also consider putting together a small guide on how they can download, install and use the software, to help the less technically minded. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont forget they are football followers  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
mentalist3d
Grafter

Grin