cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailwasher

deekay
Grafter

Mailwasher

For the past five or six days, I have been having a serious Mailwasher Free problem.
All my legitimate mail is being marked as 'Origin Blacklisted', even test emails to myself. It's all also marked to be deleted, so I am having to go through it all undeleting each email. Every message is marked "Flagged by *RBL-ORDB".
I have uninstalled Mailwasher (removing a couple of files it left on the computer) and reinstalled it, I have cleared the Blacklisted list. All to no avail.
To say that having to undelete each legitimate mail is a nuisence, is an understatement!
Please, what can have happened to suddenly cause this, as I have done nothing and have been using the program successfully for years. More importantly, is there any way of curing the problem? If not, is there a similar program I can use? I like to delete unwanted emails before they get onto my hard drive.
Many thanks for any help.
Keith
5 REPLIES 5
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Mailwasher

It sounds like a problem I heard about a couple of days ago.  One of the blacklists was taken out of service a year or so ago, and has since just been refusing connections.  Sometime very recently it has been accepting connections again and saying everything you ask about is an open relay.  Remove that blacklist and eveything should be ok.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Found the link I was after.  The story of this is here.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

Also here
deekay
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
pjmarsh: I have cleared my Mailwasher blacklist and have immediately sent myself a test message. It came back a few seconds later marked as "Origin Blacklisted" and marked to be deleted. On checking the blacklist, it was empty! So, the problem doesn't appear to have any bearing on the Mailwasher blacklist. I have done this twice, just to be certain.
Thank you and Barry for the links. They are very interesting. However, I am a bit confused! The two test messages I sent myself, presumably only went from me to PN, then straight to Postrini, straight back again to PN, and into my in-box.  So I can't see how anything external to this direct route can affect the test mails. However, I may be a bit dim!!
There were another 100+ emails this morning all to be manually undeleted.
Is there another program which, like Mailwasher, will download headers for checking before the whole email is downloaded?
Many thanks for any follow-up.
Cheers
Keith
deekay
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation, PJ.
I completely uninstalled Mailwasher and installed the new 6.1 free version.
When I tried to run the new version, it crashed with an error message about a problem with the .exe.
So that's uninstalled as well.
I'll try again in a week or so and see if the 6.1 problem has been cured.
Keith.