Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Timing Out on Windows Live Mail 2012

Bellagio
Dabbler

Mail Timing Out on Windows Live Mail 2012

Hi, 

I use Windows Live Mail 2012 and I randomly keep receiving timeouts saying that my POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds when I do a send/receive whereas other times it just goes straight through. This has only started happening since swapping to PlusNet. Any ideas how to stop this?

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Mail Timing Out on Windows Live Mail 2012

Hi there.

Can you confirm if you're using a Plusnet email address or a third party one?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bellagio
Dabbler

It’s 3rd party (f2s) email.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the confirmation.

Unless the community have any ideas on how to help, it's probably worth contacting the F2S to look into this.

From a staff perspective there isn't anything we can see in relation to a third party email address.

Hopefully the community users are able to provide more guidance or assistance though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Email to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bellagio
Dabbler

This worked fine when on Vodafone (up to 25th June 2019), it's just since switching to PlusNet which suggests it's a PlusNet issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us. I don’t believe there’d be anything wrong with your broadband connection which would cause this unless you’re also experiencing problems in other areas too?

To narrow down where the issue may lie are you able to try the following:

• Setup your emails on a different email client
  • Send mail from F2S’s webmail
  • Connect your computer to a different connection like a mobile data hotspot
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bellagio
Dabbler

Hi, I just tried and works fine on VPN and 4G mobile.

I made a separate post but the other thing that's weird is that Facebook and some YouTube comments just take ages to open (literally minutes) when I click on a post in Facebook but again they come straight through when using 4G.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update,
I suspect this may be IP address related, it’s possible that the IP you’ve picked up on may be blacklisted for some reason.
Can you switch your router off for around 65 minutes (Overnight if that’s not feasible for you to do this evening) and see if you’re able to send mail then?
Having said that, due to way the majority of dynamic IP addresses are assigned you may not get a different one but I think it’s worth a try.
Let me know how it goes, if you’re still having issues I’d be happy to dig into this again tomorrow when I’m back in the office.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Bellagio 

Have you got this sorted yet? If you've not I'd like to add a static IP to your account which should change your IP address completely narrowing down where the issue may lie. Let me know how you got on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bellagio
Dabbler

It left it off for 8 hours on Weds but am afraid it’s still doing it. Trying a static ip would be great. I remember I had a similar problem a few years back when I had switched to plusnet and images on Facebook etc used to not load properly but it would just be a small cross. After multiple refreshes it would then work. Up until swapping to plusnet last month I was with Vodafone.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update,
I’ll add a static IP onto your account when I’m back in the office tomorrow. If you want to try this sooner you should be able to add this via your account online for a one off charge of £5 which I’d be happy to credit off on this occasion.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bellagio
Dabbler

Hi, the static ip seems to have fixed this issue.
Thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Bellagio 

I'm firstly sorry for the delayed reply and not following up on the 10th.

I'm glad to see this is resolved for you now although you've not got a static IP however it does look like your IP changed to another dynamic one 3 days ago on the 10th in the evening.

Feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet