Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook query

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Macbook query

I've just recently started using a MacBook Air (updated to Mojave OS), which, has integrated very well with the iPhone and iPad, and indeed those Windows bookmarks etc. which imported very easily. It will in the fullness of time take over from my ageing Windows laptop, but I do have a couple of questions I'm sure this forum will be able to help with.

In Mac Mail app I find that the view even in fullscreen is quite small with tiny text within emails, which even with my normally 6x6 vision I find a bit of a challenge, unlike most of the other apps Mail doesn't seem to have a Zoom option, unless its hidden away somewhere, nor does it respond to touchpad gestures to expand the view. Any ideas around this please?.

Try as I might, I cannot remove certain unwanted app icons from the Dock, such as iTunes and Stocks, others I've dealt with easily enough, but these refuse to be moved out of the Dock, any ideas?.

In spite of advice that it is a mistake, I have successfully downloaded Libre Office (64bit version), which works very well, at a normal speed and not a crawl that some advice suggests.

Now the big one. Opinions are very split on the question of anti-virus for Mac, some saying it is an absolute must, others that all it achieves is a dramatic slow down of the OS, and is not necessary. As a Windows user, I have every type of internet security possible, On this Mac I have none except that the built in firewall is activated. I would be interested in the wise opinions of the Mac experts on this forum.

Finally, as an observation not a problem, I have never been happy with laptop touch-pads, preferring a mouse, I have not changed my opinion with a Mac with its multi-finger gestures, give me a simple to operate mouse any day, even if it does mean one of the USB ports is permanently in use.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES 23
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Macbook query

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use a magic mouse as well - but may not be suitable for you as the top of it also acts as a touch pad.

As for anti-virus I have Malwarebytes and BitDefender, I've not noticed any slow down on any of macs with them.
I would have something that at least you can use for periodic scans and if you stick to apps from the app store and only allow these to execute (under settings / security) you should be ok. I'm assuming you don't visit nefarious websites Wink

There are good 3rd party email apps available too, that might suit you better than MacOS Mail.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
petlew
Pro

Thank you both,

I'm delighted to say, after some reluctance in finding the right version to download, I have installed my favourite email; Thunderbird, I assume this is the much talked about 64bit version otherwise it wouldn't run on Mojove OS as its 64bit only, although I haven't found the actual Thunderbird version yet. Thunderbird interrogated my Windows and imported my address books and all my settings (and over 500 emails) with no hitches, excellent, a happy Mac user.

Edit/ Oh yes, and Thunderbird has a working Zoom should I need it.

Is it safe to uninstall the Mac Mail app. I guess if it was absolutely necessary I could get it back through the App Store?.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
dvorak

You can't (easily) remove the stock Mac Apps, just remove it from the task bar and forget about it Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @petlew, good to see you're moving to Mac Thumbs_Up. When using Thunderbird you'll see the main menu at the top of the screen from there select Thunderbird > About Thunderbird and you'll see a dialog like this:

About Thunderbird

petlew
Pro

Thank's dvorak. I know some time ago whilst tinkering with other email apps on my iPhone, I found it quite easy to delete the Mail app from that, at that time Thunderbird wouldn't load on to the iPhone, and I realised I preferred the Mail app to the one I was trying (Blue something or other) it was quite easy to get the indigenous Mail back from the App Store...then... 

petlew
Pro

Thanks Mook, still getting used to the different layouts between Mac and Windows.

petlew
Pro

Just out of curiosity Mook, do you use an anti-virus on Mac?

dvorak

@petlew wrote:

Thank's dvorak. I know some time ago whilst tinkering with other email apps on my iPhone, I found it quite easy to delete the Mail app from that, 

Yup, though that wasn't the case until iOS 11 (iirc) however the Mac apps are still protected. 

Customer / Moderator
petlew
Pro

Back to dvorak again. My only concern about "forgetting" about Mac Mail, is that its inbox is going to fill up with unread messages.

I vaguely think that the inbox can have its content deleted automatically mail by mail after a specified time. Is that so do you know?

dvorak

Fix
You can disable the accounts so mail isn't retrieved under preferences > accounts in mail.
I have a google and exchange accounts set up on my Mac's but the mails aren't retrieved as they are disabled in Mail.
Customer / Moderator
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, nothing @petlew. I rely, some will say foolishly, on good practise and common sense.

petlew
Pro

Staying on the new to MacBook theme, can anybody suggest a good (preferably free) alternative to Fast Stone Image Viewer. Which refuses to load on my Mac.

I understand that Pecasa was the one to go for, but this seems to be now discontinued, or at least according to Wiki it is.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@petlew   I know nothing about MAC !.... however, I do know that my morse program ( written for Windows 95 ) does work on a MAC machine... through WINE... not sure if IRFANVIEW will do ....

just a thought to help pass the time, until someone else gives a better answer....