cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook much slower than MacMini

RIch-ard

MacBook much slower than MacMini

I use a MacMini (OS Sierra) and a MacBook Air (OS recently upgraded to Catalina) and I use wifi.  I have Plusnet fibre and have been getting download speeds for both in the 60’s.  However, recently, my MacBook has dropped to the 40’s (MacMini still in 60’s), which to me suggests a problem with the MacBook and not my Plusnet connection.  MacBook & MacMini are close to the router.  On the MacBook I use the Avira free, I’ve done a complete virus etc check and all is OK.  I’ve used “Force Quit Applications’ and with just Chrome, Thunderbird, VPN & Finder running the speed is still in the 40’s.  I’ve looked at “Activity Monitor” CPU time and nothing unusual jumps out as high usage apart from “UserEventAgent” (figure of 6 whilst Chrome is 2).   

I would be most grateful if some clever and kind person could suggest how I can get my MacBook back to the 60’s, where it used to be.  Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: MacBook much slower than MacMini

@RIch-ard  Welcome to the forum.

It might be that your MacBook has decided to use the 2.4 rather than 5GHz band.

Try separating the bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Having done this go into the wireless network settings on both devices, try each band in turn and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RIch-ard

Hi  Many thanks for your help.  I tried what you said, it didn't seem to make any difference, so I restored everything to what it was previously.  However, in my checking of speeds I noticed that the slowing down of my MacBook appears to be caused when I'm connected to my NordVPN.  So now I'm trying to fix this.  

Once again - thanks a lot for taking the trouble to help.

Rich-ard

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Using a VPN will often reduce the apparent throughput of a connecetion due to the extra hops and throughput of their servers.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RIch-ard

Your comments about a VPN slowing down a connection are noted - thanks.  What I don't understand is why the VPN doesn't seem to slow down the download speed to my MacMini yet it does with the MacBook.  Perhaps this was due to the particular NordVPN servers I was connected to????

Thanks again. Richard