cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac admin problem, to say the least!

IanSn
Rising Star

Mac admin problem, to say the least!

Just got the iMac back from having the notorious stained LCD issue sorted out.
However, they not only gave me a clean screen but also a clean install....   Angry
Had they told me... but anyway. A lot of AppStore downloads lost, security software and settings, local network and bluetooth settings, etc., etc.
And my admin log-in. The computer now belongs to someone else and I can't log-in.  Cry
Can't really rectify anything until I'm admin again.
I'm so peeved I can't get a clear head!
Not had this situation before. Any bright sparks have any ideas about how I get out of this?  Undecided
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mac admin problem, to say the least!

Just do a clean install from the original discs to enable access etc, though you will have to enter your own missing data, from somewhere.
Must say, I've not heard of the "notorious stained LCD issue"
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Are you even sure it's your computer? Maybe they've (Apple Store?) given you the wrong one?
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

YEIKS!!!  Shocked
You're right. Its the wrong machine!  Grin Grin Grin
I just checked the serial number.....
Right. Back to the shop tomorrow.
Why didn't I think of that!!!
Btw,
Even some of the machines in the iStore are showing signs of the staining. It arises because of the proximity of the LED to heat, and no filters to prevent tiny dust particles from entering the screen from behind. Apple have been trying to keep this quiet internationally since about 2009 (including removing posts from the 'Apple Communities' - mine included) claiming its 'environmental'.
Its only now that Apple are starting to realise they have to do something about it. I was told initially the issue wasn't covered even under the 90-day warranty (!! yes, odd, eh?) and I'd have to pay for a new screen. Its taken me this long - since Jan 2010 - to get this problem fixed.
I got a call from someone at Apple in Cork after continuing to complain on the forums.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing.
Let's hope they still have yours, or can retrieve it from another customer.
Sounds like a good case for a brand new one if they can't !
IanSn
Rising Star

Now have my computer back  Smiley
New LCD and pristine. The screen was dirtier than I realised, now blindingly clean!  Cool
Shame it took so long to get there...
Now I've got a week of work to catch up...... and some colour corrections to check back on, they can't have been right.
RPMozley
Pro

I'm glad everything's sorted for you. Oh and arbitrary colour corrections are always dependent on your setup, although with the software I've worked on (developed) manual corrections are pretty much not required.
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Yes, and thanks for alerting me to what I guess should have been obvious! I might have sat there for some time before falling in....  Roll_eyes
I get sent stuff at times (clients who've been given dodgy pics by photographers and such) specifically to colour correct, or adjust for whatever reason. I like to be calibrated as good as I can get it but... you should've seen that screen!
So what's the software?
You're talking to an old film photographer who used to have to do it all by eye! I tend to still do that  Grin
---
pics are smallerized for on here. Those marks are on the inside, but the whole screen was off-colour.
RPMozley
Pro

Well the software isn't really on sale to the public as such, more of an in house thing.
Currently being used here: http://www.iconoclast-images.co.uk/
Probably ideal for all your old film stuff you've done.
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

thanks for that link, not come across them before. I'll be checking them out later! Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Apple have been trying to keep this quiet internationally since about 2009 (including removing posts from the 'Apple Communities' - mine included) claiming its 'environmental'.

Jeez  Shocked Who do they think they are! Glad you got it all sorted. On the subject of colour correction I have seen some DVD's where images are shown and you adjust your screen until the colours etc are correct. I think it's something to do with making sure everyone is working to the same standard but that maybe just for video playback  Undecided
LukeAger
Grafter

Quote from: IanSn
YEIKS!!!  Shocked
You're right. Its the wrong machine!  Grin Grin Grin

Wow. This is surprising, I guess mistakes can be made though. Had they given yours to somebody else or was that still in store?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How about reading reply 5  Shocked
LukeAger
Grafter

Quote from: IanSn
Now have my computer back  Smiley
New LCD and pristine. The screen was dirtier than I realised, now blindingly clean!  Cool
Shame it took so long to get there...
Now I've got a week of work to catch up...... and some colour corrections to check back on, they can't have been right.
Quote from: Oldjim
How about reading reply 5  Shocked

Sorry, I was wondering if the Mac was with another customer in the interim, before you retrieved it?  Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it was with another customer the Mac shop must have been quick off the ball as he went in and got the right one the same day