cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Vs PC

mentalist3d
Grafter

Mac Vs PC

So which one is better and why? (not that I'm trying to cause trouble  ;))
Personally, I've been using PCs for years but for the past year I've been using a Mac (cheap though - 2nd hand), and at the moment I am in favour of the Mac because:

• runs super quiet

• lower spec than my PC but runs much faster and is graphically better

• never had any crashes or errors

• easier to use

• good space saver

So what do others think, Mac or PC?
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to a more appropriate forum.]
Edit: Apologies, wasn't sure if it should go on the Mac or Windows board, so opted for General Chit-Chat, never even crossed my mind to put it in the Computers board, Doh!!
20 REPLIES 20
scootie
Grafter

Re: Mac Vs PC

windows for me. ive got 2 mac minis and just find the mac's not to my taste and no matter how hard i tried there was allways a program that needed windows and couldnt find a gd enough like for like program for the mac.
my to mac minis are currently in bits wid the lids off being used as firewire hard disks for my pc's  Smiley i found a use for them in the end
mentalist3d
Grafter

lol at least you managed to get a use for them  Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

I tend to use a Mac more now (a new Macbook Pro at home and a Mac Mini at work) but I still find I need to use Windows for some things and it doesn't bother me...
I'd recommend a Mac for some things, and a Windows PC for others. I've got a friend currently using a Mac for the first time so I might get him to give me his thoughts when he's done a bit more with it.
scootie
Grafter

i might of tried harder to like the mac's but they was given to me for free
awaits for adiewoo to step in  Smiley
Be3G
Grafter

Well, I spent over five years using Windows PCs - gaining enough knowledge to build from scratch a couple of computers - but eventually I got so fed up with them that I defected to Apple and their Macs. I think the final nail in the coffin was when I spent £750-£800 on a supposedly good Dell laptop, only to be appalled by how cheap and plasticky it felt, the absolutely abysmal headphone output, the frustrating BIOS bug that resulted in it sapping battery power much quicker than it should have done, and probably various other things too.
So I moved to the Mac OS and have (almost) never looked back. I personally love the Mac OS for the usual things like speed and stability, but also I think I just love Apple's attention to detail. For example, Mac OS X Leopard introduced out-of-focus window scrolling which I instantly fell in love with... such a small thing, but very helpful. Also, my main interests are photography and music, both of which are things Macs excel at - for example, the Mac OS is fully colour-managed (and even includes a command-line utility for fiddling with ICC profiles), and Macs always come with decent built-in audio. Plus, Aperture and Logic Studio, both of which I use, are only available for Mac... Aperture being a particularly interesting case because it was truly innovative on Apple's part - prior to it being released, there weren't to my knowledge any pieces of photography software that tried to deal with the whole photography workflow from importing, to cataloguing, to processing RAW files, to printing/uploading/publishing.
Also, Colin - I meant to ask if you ended up buying yourself a new Mac after you tweeted to say you were considering it. Which one did you get?
mentalist3d
Grafter

@cso: I still use PCs at work so I do go between both and have no bother as well. Sometimes though some of the work I do can only be done on a PC and vice versa. I'm still preferring the Mac tho Smiley
barky
Grafter

PC & mac as just as good as each other overall -- all down to personal preference really -- switch between the 2 & many will  get a 'grass is greener' feeling depending on the application you use.
some PC makers have relied too much on past reputation, lowered quality + cut costs & hoped to maintain profits (Dell)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't know anything about Mac's - but a PC works perfectly well, provided that you remove the M$ Malware.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

i hankered after a mac after using the apple ][e for several years.  they were too horribly expensive, so i opted for the messdos route and am glad that i did in that it led me to linux, which can't be beat.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've not owned a Mac (not a recent one anyway), but from having an iPod I know you can't fault Apple on their build quality. As has been said.
When you get one, you know its going to be somewhat consistent.
Problem with PC's is anyone can make them now, so individuals and companies (who some are actually just one individual) can supply one, whether it is good or bad.
I remember going round a friend's company about 5 years ago.
They were quite small. They had about a dozen PC's which were poorly built and whoever installed their router didn't enable any encryption at all.
I had to explain why that was a bad idea Roll_eyes
I'll have to try one .. it made me laugh as someone I used to work with had a subscription to PC Pro.
Personally I don't mind the magazine at all, but he used to read it for a bit and then leave the magazine and coverdiscs on his desk.
He owned a older Mac (don't ask me which one) and didn't have a PC.
When we left, he gave me all of the discs saying he was only going to throw them anyway, as they were no use to him and would I like to have them .. about 2 years worth. Of course I gladly took them, but I felt he should have subscribed to a more appropriate magazine Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Alex
I've not owned a Mac (not a recent one anyway), but from having an iPod I know you can't fault Apple on their build quality. As has been said.
When you get one, you know its going to be somewhat consistent.

See http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page  Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
i hankered after a mac after using the apple ][e for several years.  they were too horribly expensive, so i opted for the messdos route and am glad that i did in that it led me to linux, which can't be beat.

I've never tried Linux before, but want to at some point, will wait until I get a spare PC to muck about on without having to worry if I stuff it up. Anything that doesn't need to run on M$ is always a plus Smiley
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: Crucibleofevil

See http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page  Grin Grin

See http://www.annoyances.org a much larger site  Grin
Santiago
Grafter

Macs are nice and I wouldn't say no to one but they are way too expensive especially the way technical specs are are moving forward, they are out of date before you would get your money's worth.
I bought an Acer laptop, nice spec (except Vista), two years ago in the US. I paid around £300  for it thinking of a two year useful life.
It is not my main machine but I use it every day either at the office or travelling, I have it dual booting XP and Ubuntu 8.10, does everything I need. It is as good as new, not one problem. I could get another year or more before I change it it up and then I will give it to one of the kids.
My desktop is a Fujitsu Scaleo, £500, four years old, all original, never had a problem.
For me these days it all about value for money and I can't fault the Acer or the Fujitsu.
My daughter got a macbook (present from her boyfriend and his family) during the summer. It seems like a nice bit of kit, but it cost over a thousand pounds!
For what she uses it for that cost is not justified and I wonder if it will last her more than a couple of years anyway.
*waits for a blast off the mac fanboys*