Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS X: "safer, but less secure"

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mac OS X: "safer, but less secure"

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Update-957981.html
Apple users are currently "safer, but less secure", he said. While malware authors don't concern themselves with the relatively small number of Apple users, Miller said, the size of the market share is no longer a valid argument in targeted attacks such as operation Aurora: "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town."
4 REPLIES 4
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Mac OS X: "safer, but less secure"

There is some truth to that, but I think there's also an element of exaggeration. For example, Mac OS X has always forced people to enter their password whenever doing anything that affects the system (e.g. updating software); this applies even if the user has admin permissions and there is, to the best of my knowledge, no way of disabling it – whereas one can disable UAC in Windows. (And it's the first thing I did when installing Vista too as it was so maddeningly annoying!) So whilst it's quite possibly true that Mac OS X has a lot of unintended security holes, I think that the heritage of the Mac OS X still indicates a possibly more secure design than that of Windows.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Stop trolling Oldjim.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artificer
Grafter

less secure than what?  is this another of the 'deeper market share will attract more attention from baddies' non-argument?
there will always be insecurities in any operating system but no operating system will suffer the plethora of vulnerabilites microsoft's offering is prey to.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: adiewoo
Stop trolling Oldjim.
Troll - moi!! - never  Crazy