Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Failing To Start

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mac Failing To Start

I have an old mac-book pro which is failing to start, from looking at various links to put it into single user mode etc, I've only been able to get into single user mode once which then says something about waiting for root which failed 3 times then the screen changed displaying doubled grey and black text. Also tried getting it into Bios state without success

I'm guessing the Logic Board is broken.

Would the Mac go into Bios state with a broken HDD, I'm just assuming it will like any normal MB would ?

By the way, It's in bits at the moment, so I'm not able to test it further as I've kind of resigned to the fact the Logic Board has had it's day and am looking for replacement/fix options. £100 for fix and £200 ish for a new board from the states.

Added Info for clarity:

Board Visual EMC 2324
Board Visual Printed ID:8202533-B

Intro. June 8, 2009 Disc. April 13, 2010
Order MC118LL/A Model A1286 (EMC 2324*)
Family Mid-2009 15" ID MacBookPro5,4
RAM 4 GB VRAM 256 MB
Storage 250 GB (5400 RPM) Optical 8X DL "SuperDrive"

A1286 Macbook Pro Logic Board
Apple Part    NO 820-2533-B
Apple Order  NO 661-5222
CPU 2.53GHz
Graphic NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Compatible Model        A1286 Macbook Pro 2009
Compatible Model NO MC118LL/A

6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Mac Failing To Start

Could it be the hard drive?  Have you tried the Repair facility in Disk Utility?  Holding down the CMD + R keys after you hear the chime should get you an option to run Disk Utility.    

mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Would the Mac go into Bios state with a broken HDD, I'm just assuming it will like any normal MB would ?

Is there such a thing as a normal motherboard anymore?   

When a Mac HDD fails, you should still be able to boot from DVD or USB.  If you stiil have the system software DVD which shipped with your MBP, try that.  If it did not come with a DVD, then it's [cmd] + r for recovery mode.  You can also try plugging the suspect disk into another PC or Mac with a suitable USB adapter and seeing what it makes of it.

From the symptoms you are reporting, I would not be too hopeful.  I have seen doubled up text on the boot screen a couple times before, when VRAM has failed.

30FTTC06
Pro

Yes tried that as well, can't get in, just getting a chime.

To note, this machine had been playing up quite a lot, I reformatted it a few times last year and left it to rot under the sofa! Just decided to have another go, spent most of the day yesterday trying to get into it and gave up in the end.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If reformatting worked temporarily then that is highly indicative of a failing hard drive.  It's a bit like a tyre with a slow puncture; you can pump it up and have it performing for a while but pretty soon you are back in trouble.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@30FTTC06 - Have you tried using Cmd + Alt + R when you hear the chime at power on?

30FTTC06
Pro

I rebuilt it for a laff, had a bit of an odd beep and thought I had not pushed one of the connectors in.

Whoops! forgot to put the ram back in.

Anyway, yes tried the CMD+R  and CMD+ALT+R and various other boot options like clear VRAM/PRAM etc, still the same, just a grey screen with no apple etc.

Holding CMD+ALT+R gave me the apple and progress bar once follwed by circle with line through it, but nothing since.

Very hit and miss.