cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX records not found for my exchange server

aldabbagh
Grafter

MX records not found for my exchange server

Hi there, We've currently upgraded our Exchange server from a Simple Home Computer to a Poweredge R200. So I had to re-install the whole exchange again. Anyways, I'm hosting a domain ciscolabs.co.uk with Godaddy, I've set all the dns settings in the cPanel and the MX record on the DNS Server.
I've been waiting for 2 days for the setting to go through the internet, but everytime I to see if it sent, I get no mx record found.
Image I've added as an attachment, will show you the DNS settings on my DC/DNS Server. It's highlighted in an orange box.
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: MX records not found for my exchange server

Firstly, did this work before you changed server?  Secondly,why did you need to change the MX record when you changed server (presumably your public IP address stayed the same?) and thirdly, what have the settings on your local server got to do with the problem?
aldabbagh
Grafter

Like I said, I was Hosting the Exchange Server on a small PC, But I moved everything to a new server, the Dell PE R200. I had to re-install everything. Local server is the Domain Controller, DNS Server.
pwatson
Rising Star

You appear to be running a local DNS server for internal use. For everyone else the nameservers for ciscolabs.co.uk  are ns15.domaincontrol.com and ns16.domaincontrol.com
Again, firstly, did this work before you changed server?  Secondly,why did you need to change the MX record when you changed server (presumably your public IP address stayed the same?) and thirdly, what have the settings on your local server got to do with the problem?
aldabbagh
Grafter

Oh Yes, It was worked perfectly fine, Also I've got a static IP Address even since i got PN i've had the same IP. Local Server is my DNS (third time i've said that)
pwatson
Rising Star

Taking your answers in reverse:
3.  Your local server is not set to be the nameserver for your domain (See previous post for servers that are).  Note that if your local server was set as the authoritative server for your domain it wouldn't work either!
2.  Your IP address hasn't changed therefore your MX record didn't need to be changed
1.  Good - Back your changes out!
This is what the rest of the world sees for your domain.
aldabbagh
Grafter

My domain is non-authoritative.
What do you mean the mx record shouldn't change?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You still need mx records on ns15.domaincontrol.com and ns16.domaincontrol.com pointing to your routers external IP.
All you should have changed is the forwarding internally.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star

I think you may need to go and find a good book on how DNS lookups work....
http://cse.unl.edu/~ylu/csce855/notes/OReilly-DNS-and-BIND.pdf
aldabbagh
Grafter

This is what I've set on the GoDaddy cPanel
Image which i've attached
pwatson
Rising Star

Those settings are not correct.  The host should be '@' and you should have A records for your mail servers.  In your case the highest priority server should be your exchange server (presumably) and the lower one should be pointed at a backup mail server (secondary mx)
Currently, neither pop.ciscolabs.co.uk or smtp.ciscolabs.co.uk have and DNS records by the way!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can use this to check your mx settings http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3aciscolabs.co.uk&run=toolpage#
as you can see it agrees with what others have posted, your mx settings are incorrect.
@pwatson the mx domains don't need A records
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: dvorak
@pwatson the mx domains don't need A records

Section 10.3 of RFC 2181 says it does (unless it's been superseded?)
pwatson
Rising Star

I see that you've now successfully added MX records for your domain and the point to pop.ciscolabs.co.uk and smtp.ciscolabs.co.uk (with the same priorty). 
However, you haven't created DNS records for pop.ciscolabs.co.uk or smtp.ciscolabs.co.uk so your config still won't work...
aldabbagh
Grafter

It have done that now, the problem was GoDadday's nameserver, it wasnt working. So i had to change it to the original one.