cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Works problems

morgan2476
Grafter

MS Works problems

Now that I have installed windows 7 on my pc and everything is up and running I have now hit a proble with ms works.  When I try and open a file I get the following message "Cannot change the document H:\ etc. . . . .  The document is read-only or open by another user application.  To change this file save it with a different filename"  I have tried this and I am getting the same message.  Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: MS Works problems

Not sure if this will work, but you could try downloading Open Office, and installing it, and then the document you are trying to open.... click on the file name, and then "Open with......" and specify Open Office...
Is there an option to simulate XP ?  (can`t remember the exact terminology..... but someone will...... )
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Can you open the folder that contains the file you are trying to open?  The fact that it is located at H: implies it isn't in the usual place.  Windows 7 can be a bit picky about what folders you are allowed to access by default; you might need to grant yourself permission to access the folder.
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi I tried shutters' suggestion but that did not work.  I managed to open a file on the C drive ok so the problem is as  ReedRichards pointed out to do with permissions.  How do I overcome this problem?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you copy the file to another drive and, if so can you open it from there.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What kind of file is it  ? ? ?  is it text or spreadsheet, and what is the file extension ?
morgan2476
Grafter

Yep ! I copied it from one drive to another and i topened ok The problem is files from the external HD.  I didn't have any problems last week when I was using xp.
morgan2476
Grafter

It only affects ms works files all others are ok
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is likely to be a flag set as read only
This seems to be a frequent problem with files created on a USB connected hard drive by XP and then accessed on Windows 7 or Vista
The only solution I have seen which may work is to copy the folder to your normal drive and then copy it back again
I am not familiar with works but if it is the same as office it tries to create a temporary file in the same place as the original file
morgan2476
Grafter

quark express files are not saving either
Oldjim
Resting Legend