Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Word docs

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

MS Word docs

When I open MS Word (version 2002 in Office 2002) I always get 2 blank documents, I know it's easy enough to simply close the unwanted document, but I contend only one should open, the second one shouldn't be there unless I select to open a new second document to create. But nothing I do will "permanently" stop the unwanted second blank document from opening. And it's starting to annoy me...not the document but, not knowing how to stop it opening!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES 3
minkey
Rising Star

Re: MS Word docs

Just a thought, but do you have anything in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup
(this might be different on your machine)
IIRC anything in there opens when you open office.
Jeff
petlew
Pro

Thanks Jeff, Uhmm quite possible I guess. I'll check later on, not near the offending PC at the moment.
Peter

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Thanks Jeff, that cured it...odd though, if Word was opened from start/programs/Word there was no problem and only opened one blank doc. If opened from an icon located in the (always on-top) taskbar it would open 2 doc's.
Further, if I deleted the taskbar and desk-top icons and started from scratch by creating a new desktop icon from C/program files/MS office/office10/Winword dragging it to the desktop in the normal way, that icon then opened 1 doc, if I then dragged the new desktop icon to the taskbar, creating a new icon there, that icon produced 2 blank docs when opened, the original desktop icon continued to behave normally by only opening 1 blank doc.
However, following your advice I found there was a doc in the startup folder as you suggested, when I tried to open that doc directly from that folder I got an error message which roughly said that this had caused a serious problem with Word last time it was opened, so I simply deleted, which has cured my problem completely...I'm just curious to know why the apparently identical icons produced different results when used!!
Incidently, all the other elements of MS Office have their own icons on my taskbar rather than the desktop, they're easier to get at there, none of the display the admittedly minor problem I was having with Word.
Thanks again
Peter