Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Security Essential or Avast?

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

MS Security Essential or Avast?

I run Avast and updated two computers from XP and Vista both to Win 7 32 bit. These are wireless networked with a wireless printer.
I run Avast, Windows Defender and  Malwarebytes on both of them. I have been advised to replace the first two with  MSE.
Having had problems in the past with Avast, AVG and Zonealarm (not all at once!!) I have become reluctant to tinker with a set up that appears to work..
The one advantage is It would make the other half's laptop have one less program to baffle her!
Can anyone think of a killer reason why I should change or stay as is. I am thinking of starting by changing the laptop but not the PC.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Wuz

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MS Security Essential or Avast?

I would suggest that Avast is dropping back in the pack - try Avira as it seems the best of the free ones
Have a look here http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I really like Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's a really good program that Microsoft does not publicise too heavily so as not to upset the likes of Norton, McAfee etc.  I find it runs really well on older machines that may not have the oomph to handle more demanding security software.  I do not use Avast or Avira so cannot comment on how it compares.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I agree with Oldjim, I use Avira Premium and never had any bother really.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
bobboulby
Grafter

I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials for some time now and am very happy with it. It goes about its business quietly in the background and I've never had any problems.
Hope this helps - Bob
Wuz
Rising Star

Thanks to all especially Oldjim.
Having read the reports I will stay with Avast,  Windows Defender and Malwarebytes for the next few weeks.
The reason is that Avast is better than MSE.  Avira will replace Avast in due course!
Over the last 13 years I have gone from Norton to Avast, then to AVG and back to Avast a couple of years ago. Other than the "free" first year with Norton ending, the other changes have been due to conflicts with non AV programs. Avira will be another learning curve for the new year!
I got rid of Spybot and Adaware a few months ago and having read the AV reports may have to think about reinstalling one of them!
Is there a similar good comparative site for them as I suspect Windows Defender may not be ahead of the pack?
Wuz
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not aware of one which keeps remotely up to date.
I don't have a problem because I use Firefox with cookies set for Ask every time
One other thing which will frighten you - perhaps - are flash cookies
Just try running Better Privacy http://netticat.ath.cx/BetterPrivacy/BetterPrivacy.htm
Wuz
Rising Star

Oldjim,
I run Firefox with Noscript, adblock plus, ghostery and Google analyitic opt out.
I use to have cookies only by request but as the network is only as strong as the weakest link my OH is just getting used to Firefox after 7 years and wouldn't tolerate the learning required. She still misses Outlook 98 from 6 years ago and still isn't happy with Thunderbird!!
My 8 year olds computer (Win98SE) is not connected to the internet and is unlikely to be as the I think I remember is Award 4.51 BIOS needs flashed to support USB and I spent days following dud links but the relevant download sites no longer exist.,
He uses mummies Laptop and usually on his password but he will soon know more than her! He may be getting an old XP SR3 computer which was loaned to a relative but I am worried  that it will make things worse!
I might move to a wired computer dedicated to anything that has to be secure. I am all wireless I committed to using the master socket in the roof space. The problem turned out to be vermin at the bottom of a pole in the road eating through the plastic cover and eventually the phone wire.
I suspect the extension socket beside me is almost as good as the master socket as was the case in dialup days! Speed is 1.7mb - 2 mb now.so might ask Santa for something basic but enough to use for financial dealings
Will scare myself with your link later!
Many thanks,
Wuz
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I gotta admit Avast was a pain on my netbook recently when I got hit by 2 trojans. It dealt with one but not the other and even then trying to update left me with a non usable desktop. It took me 2 days to research the trojan and find a way to get rid of it without using Avast.
Once gone Avast did function normally but for an anti-virus software you would expect it to deal with things like trojans. Not just let them live there and then fail to remove them when you finally update your definitions. On that point I must point out Avast did detect it but only after I updated for the first time in 4 months so in reality it was my own fault that i got infected in the first place but I would still expect avast to remove it once detected. Instead if failed to remove it and then froze my system until i uninstalled avast.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!