cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP3 converter ??

bubbalicious
Grafter

MP3 converter ??

Hi Peeps, wondering if someone could be kind enough to help me get out of a bit of a pickle my sister left me in? Cheesy
My Niece and Nephew are in a kiddies Show at the weekend and after some crisis with the person who was sorting out the music my sister volunteered me to download and copy on to CD all the tracks the kiddies need for the show and only given me till thursday lunchtime to get them so they can rehearse with them.  They want backing tracks and I have managed to find them all but only in the version MP3 download!
I may be living in the dark ages but I don't have an MP3 player and I think that means I can't put them on a CD without first converting them to .????! i see from looking at the properties on tracks I have copied from music CD's to my laptop that their file type is .wma but I was hoping someone could please confirm this is what I need to convert them to and whether Windows 7 has a converter somewhere or if i need to buy something to do it?
Sorry I realise the info is probably out there to find but as it's really important I get this right (imagine all those kiddies all excited to get their tracks and then I mess it all up - and totally embarass my nephew and niece!!! ) Huh Huh  I know you peeps are always so lovely and patient with me when I find myself in these situations, and your advice has always been invaluable.
Thanks to all for anything you can advise Wink

6 REPLIES 6
wacky17
Grafter

Re: MP3 converter ??

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Hi again Sally
you will probably need an MP3 codec
this is free from http://download.cnet.com/mp3-codec-for-Windows-Media-Player/3000-2169_4-10630559.html
and if you need to muck around with the files, shorten or cut them etc, you can use the free Audacity program, this read the MP3 in and show you a wave form this you can then save to WMA
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
Denzil
Grafter

You might not need to bother converting, depending on the CD player. A lot of players (at least more modern ones) will recognise MP3 files and play them anyway.
hulls
Grafter

What software are you using to burn the CD?  Most will convert audio files such as mp3 or WAV on the fly.
John
bubbalicious
Grafter

Hi Guys, misson completed!! Cool
Cheers for all the help and tips, I was using Roxio as I always do to create the music cd's but for some reason their CD/music system won't play disks created on it, so I had to convert them to the wma file type and then use Windows media player to 'burn' them to CD.
The tip about how to cut the files was a bonus, usually they have to stop the track as the show goes on and hope it's in the right place, now having sat in rehearsal for 4 hours all the tracks are the perfect length to match the kiddies '??singing'???!!  ready for the show at the weekend!  I even managed to fiddle with the songs Key! I really thought it was going to be a complicated process but amazed to find using the converter was pretty simple!
As always, thanks for all your help and advice the show's choreographer was over the moon and although tempted I admitted I had help! All  the kiddies were all so chuffed with their own 'backing tracks' that they left grinning and feeling very 'X-Factor!
Now I just need my ears to stop ringing!
VERY, VERY, VERY grateful,  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

All PC's are MP3 players...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."