Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Addresses

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

MAC Addresses

I use a Netgear N300 modem, set to Access Control. When I try to add a new device to the list of allowed devices, there can be devices in the list that quote MAC Addresses but either no Device Name or a Device Name that might start with something like Android and then some alpha-numeric code. Now I guess the latter are mobile phones, but the ones that have no Device Name are beginning to build up. I have thought of producing a Word file that is a list of devices and their MAC Addresses, but how do I find the MAC Address in a specific device if it isn't printed on the outside, or listed in that device's paperwork?

Quite why the manufacturers cannot offer a better way of identifying which device has which MAC, and then allowing us to modify the Device Name so that we can give it an id that is sensible to us is beyond me (or is that a Netgear not allowing us to do that?).

My thanks to anyone who can offer useful suggestions. Happy New Year to all, and take care in this terrible pandemic

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: MAC Addresses

@penneck 

Why not disconnect everything then reconnect them one at a time, identifying each as it connects.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

When I try to add a new device to the list of allowed devices, there can be devices in the list that quote MAC Addresses but either no Device Name or a Device Name that might start with something like Android and then some alpha-numeric code.

What is displayed as device name depends entirely on what the device returns in the DHCP response. Some devices will return names and some don't.

If it helps , the first few numbers in the MAC address will identify the vendor, so its sometimes possible to identify the device that way. https://macvendors.com/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @penneck 

I understand your frustration, I have a couple tips.

Windows 10 try https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

For android I've used Net Analyzer

Both these apps associate the IP address and MAC address and provide some indication of who makes the network interface

There are many MAC address lookup sites https://maclookup.app/ is an example.

Hope this helps

Dan.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Baldrick. I tried - oh hell, I've forgotten his name (I apologise to him), but he suggested the macseller process for identifying the manufacturer of the equipment where I only had a MAC Address to go on. It seems the three mystery equipments are all Sony equipments, so I guess they are phones owned by other members of my family. They don't live here so I cannot run tests on their phones, and my being in Tier 4 means they cannot visit for a while. I will just have to be patient.

Thanks for your help. Take care and stay safe.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou Dan_the_Van. As you may have seen from my reply to Baldrick, I have used MisterW's solution although I called it macseller instead of macvendors - my memory is so unreliable.

Take care and stay safe

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello MisterW. I apologise for forgetting your name, etc when I replied to Baldrick. I used your solution and it seems the mystery MAC Addresses are all Sony phones. I will have to wait until my local Covid Tier reduces before I can test them so that I can identify which MAC belongs to which phone.

I don't know if anyone knows how I can edit the Device Name (in the modem connectivity list) so that I can use an identity that means something to me, rather than gobbledegook like the ANDROID...... that means nothing to anyone, or is this something that Netgear prevents me doing?

Thanks for your help. Take care and stay safe

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I don't know if anyone knows how I can edit the Device Name

Unless this https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/How-to-quot-rename-quot-devices-so-they-ap... works with you router...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello MisterW. I followed your script, but when I got to where I have to select a Device Name, it ground to a halt. I assumed that selecting the device name I wanted to change was done by dragging the cursor along the device name with the left mouse button held down. That highlighted the device name. I tried typing in the required name with no apparent effect, and I couldn't find the word Edit anywhere. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Regards

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry , I've no idea whether that link will work with your router or not. I just found it on the Netgear site