cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M$ tells US retailers Linux is rubbish - HUH!

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

M$ tells US retailers Linux is rubbish - HUH!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/09/ms_linux_pitch/
Well sales MUST be suffering.  Cheesy
I Like the quote from one "sales material" - "Printers/Scanners" M$ Many - Linux Few
That was one of the REASONS I dropped Vista because it wouldn't work with my scanner (only a few years old, and no updates available 'cause "newer models are available"). Ok Most Lexmark printers are not supported but that is mostly 'cause they are windoz printers, all the processing is done by the pc.
And the quote from the the reg:-
"But our favorite bit is Microsoft's claim that Linux doesn't work with Windows Live Essentials, the company's very own collection of online services. This claim is correct. And should come as no surprise"
8 REPLIES 8
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: M$ tells US retailers Linux is rubbish - HUH!

Well what do you expect,of course microcon will say that what with windows seven,of course all us linux users know the truth. Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From the bottom of the link
Linux doesn't work with Windows Live Essentials

Goes away to find out what on earth that is and why it is essential  Embarrassed
Update - other than Live Messenger - why do I want that load of [Censored]
With Windows Live Toolbar, you always have quick access to Windows Live and Bing, no matter where you are on the web.
I have enough trouble avoiding stupid toolbars with adding another one - good thing is it doesn't work with Firefox
Denzil
Grafter

Reminds me of a Ghandi quote I like,
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Looks like MS have moved to stage three Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: biker955
That was one of the REASONS I dropped Vista because it wouldn't work with my scanner (only a few years old, and no updates available 'cause "newer models are available").

My son found an old HP flat bed scanner in a skip. I cleaned it up and plugged it in.
Linux recognised it (none of this M$ driver nonsense) and it's been working happily for the last couple of years.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Hardly dare say it but the quote about "what customers want" i.e. Windows not Linux is actually true.
I was listening to Click the other week and there was a piece on netbooks. Spencer was saying that folk were buying them with Linux on and reformatting with XP because they didn't like it.
The average person hasn't got the time or the inclination to persevere with a different operating system, particularly one that you have to install yourself (mostly) and then solve any incompatibility problems e.g. wireless, graphics.
All this takes determination so I think that a lot of it has a ring of truth. However, I do agree about the printer/scanner issue. I just plugged in my Epson DX3850 and away it went - brilliant.
Oh - and I do still love my Ubuntu installation and am using it quite a lot - am expecting to increase this to 99.9% of the time in the near future when I set it up on my own lappy as a dual boot.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: poppy
Click the other week and there was a piece on netbooks. Spencer was saying that folk were buying them with Linux on and reformatting with XP because they didn't like it.
The average person hasn't got the time or the inclination to persevere with a different operating system, particularly one that you have to install yourself (mostly) and then solve any incompatibility problems e.g. wireless, graphics.

But that is the idea, If you BUY a pc with Linux pre-installed YOU DON'T Have to. I had the same issue with an Acer LT (the one from Asda £250) that a friend had, it came with Vista (and 512Mb Crazy), unusable. I reformatted it and put XP on for him (what he wanted) but I had to search for drivers for the wifi, display & chipset ... (It also didn't come with a restore dvd, you had to roll your own. So everyting isn't rosier on the M$ side. (Another mate has a large acer lt with HDMI o/p he still hasn't found an XP driver for it).
Another quote from M$ was about 90% of netbooks with Linux pre-installed were returned, Dell refuted this saying it was the same %age returns on M$ or Linux
Heloman
Grafter

" If Microsoft ever designs something that doesn't suck it'll be a vacuum cleaner."
Microsoft Child for Windows
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96/May/gates.html
OK, I'm biased... 🙂

artificer
Grafter

lol. Grin