cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucid's Boot Up All Wrong

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Lucid's Boot Up All Wrong

I like many others are suffering from weird boot up screens in lucid, I believe from what i have researched is that Plymouth And nVidia And Intel i think it is Don't like each other and i have a nVidia graphics card.
My work around that i found works for me is NOT to install proprietary drivers and just use the new Plymouth which is pre-installed when doing a clean install.
What is this Plymouth some may ask,Plymouth is an application that runs very early in the boot process (even before the root file system is mounted!) that provides a graphical boot animation while the boot process happens in the background.
If this helps you then great but there is other work arounds if this does not work for you but i will leave you to search around because there's quite a few tips and workarounds for this subject.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Lucid's Boot Up All Wrong

Run the startup manager, and change the default resolution to 1024x763 on boot and all should be fine again. No need to remove the NVidia driver.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes that's another solution hairy biker but that did not work for me, i tried that already Sad
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK well it worked for me on Mint 9 with the latest NV driver.  Sad
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Have you managed to set yours to show no logo on boot in Isadora?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Not tried it is only on screen for about 10 sec anyway! Then the desktop starts to appear fully booted in about 12-14sec.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Heres a good link for anyone else facing this problem...http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@hairy biker, just got myself a copy of mint 9 and i see what you mean. I was able to fix the splash resolution easily in this one rather than in the new lucid and i think Isadora boots up faster than lucid as well.
colintivy
Rising Star

@ Steve M
Excellent link. Bookmarked for fututre reference! Roll on 10.04.1!