Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucid Lynx Is Here And Ive 10 MUST Have Application's For You To Install

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Lucid Lynx Is Here And Ive 10 MUST Have Application's For You To Install

Yes - you have the correct version (it has to squeeze onto a CD).
I assume you are doing a fresh install?
If you upgrade (using the CD), it will still want to to get extra bits relating to any customised bits that you have previously added to the base version.
E.g. for a 64 bit install, it's handy to add the 32 bit libraries alongside; I'm using some KDE apps on a "standard" Gnome install - which needs quite a lot of KDE libraries.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I assume you are doing a fresh install?

Yes, my semi legal desktop is probably the best candidate for this. It has nothing important on it and if theres a few teething errors it won't cause me any major worries. There is a copy of 9.10 Karmic dual booting on there but I think I'll get best results giving 10.04 the whole HD.
BTW I downloaded the torrent very fast was probably over in about 20/25 mins so if people are getting it slow from Ubuntu try the torrent instead.  http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso.torrent
Last time I downloaded it on the 9.10 the disc would freeze at 95% so I checksummed it and found that was out so several burns later I realised the downloaded image file was also corrupt Shocked
At least with a torrent if it doesn't checksum the torrent will just keep re-downloading the corrupt part until it matches so as long as you verify the burn on the disc you know you have a good copy.
That's my tip for the day  Smiley
Not applicable

Just for the time being 10.04 is running on a separate partition as Wubi. Everything works.
Just a trivial thing: I thought that I read that you could put the maximise/minimise in the top right-hand corner instead of the top left but can't find it now. The current set up seems to be copying Mac.  Huh
It is not as lively as I thought it would be - maybe it is better properly installed. 
VileReynard
Hero

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85742.0.html  Smiley

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

is not as lively as I thought it would be - maybe it is better properly installed. 

That's why I'm going to give it a PC all to itself Poppy so to cut out any outside intervention, at least then if there are any problems I know where to look for any answers. Wink
Not applicable

Cheers Fox - will go check. Am only using Wubi to see that everything is alright first. In many ways, I agree with Santiago - best to wait a bit until all the problems have been aired and sorted - wish I had his patience!  Wink
For now, am playing nicely and joy of joys - Java is actually working OK! 
All done and much better - ta!
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
BTW I downloaded the torrent very fast was probably over in about 20/25 mins so if people are getting it slow from Ubuntu try the torrent instead. 

Scary bug  Shocked
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
The current set up seems to be copying Mac.  Huh

Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition looks set to be even more MacOS-like with its Global Menu Bar
Steve
Seasoned Pro

247 days!! thats something Shocked
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
If you want to be really up-to date then try Debian's SID release, it is constantly upgraded  Cheesy

I wouldn't recommend that, unless you like having your PC broken more time than it's working Wink
Sid's the experimental release, and is very unstable.
VileReynard
Hero

Just discovered another bug/feature Smiley
If I'm not signed into at least user with a GUI screen, then my wireless isn't working.
i.e. if my only signon is a proper command entry screen - such as CTRL+ALT+F1 etc, then no wireless connection is made.
Haven't tried to see if there is an easy fix - but this is definitely different to previous versions.

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: A
If I'm not signed into at least user with a GUI screen, then my wireless isn't working.

I thought that was how NetworkMangler was supposed to work; you authenticate after logging in to the desktop.
I use wicd on Debian where each user has to be a member of the netdev group to be able to use wireless.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
Sid's the experimental release, and is very unstable.

Despite what Debian say about Sid, I find it's more than stable enough for daily desktop use; I find it's very rare that anything (I use) breaks. YMMV.
Experimental I wouldn't touch with a bargepole  Tongue
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Ahh, I've got them muddled up haven't I? :S