Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucid 10.04 Installation from DVD

colintivy
Rising Star

Lucid 10.04 Installation from DVD

Hi folks.
I have been awaiting the issue of a suitable DVD to look at the new version. As expected Linux Format has come up with one today. I have been following the rafts of comments on Ubuntu forums and am now somewhat unsettled. There has been a suggestion that to wait for the issue of 10.04.1 in late July might not be unhelpful. It seems that a number of fairly basic bugs have been discovered in the current final issue that should be eradicated by then. Has anyone any first-hand views upon this?
I am quite happy with Hardy 8.04, do not worry about the 6 monthly faltering update steps, LTS for me but am not entirely anxious to venture along that path right now.
Undecided Sad
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Lucid 10.04 Installation from DVD

Has anyone any first-hand views upon this?

I've installed it on my Aspire One netbook ( was 9.04 ), clean install retaining existing /home partition. Problem with PulseAudio ( had to disable it to get Skype working ) and minor problem with boot sometimes not getting to desktop ( fixed by FRAMEBUFFER=y ).
My desktop is 8.04 and I copied the installation to a virtual machine and tried the upgrade to 10.04, it worked ok. However I'm not going to do it for real yet, some issues with Nvidia drivers from what I can see... Like you I think I'll wait for 10.04.1 until I upgrade my desktop.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Haven't had any problems at all.
Including nVidia drivers.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I understood that 'nouveau' is replacing the restricted nvidia drivers and that it was now standard in 10.04. There seem to be reports of some facilities missing from nouveau and some problems trying to install the restricted drivers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for rapid replies. They generally coincide with what I have heard elsewhere. One area that bothers me is the apparent difficulties with using USB external drives, which is how I was going to play. I am about to put my /home onto a separate partition and have backed it up to a USB 16GB key. On looking at it I have found that only my folders have gone there. The whole /home has also all my aps (including Turboprint2, vital for my Canon printer) listed above the folders and a lot of logs and admin stuff afterwards. I guess that the whole of /home should be on the back-up and am unsure how the extras did not record in the first place. I think that the key is big enough to take it all. Any advice?Huh
Smiley  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

A good guide would be "how long did it take to copy"?
Do you still have access to the originals?
If so, have a look at "Simple Backup Manager" - it creates a single tar.gz file of all your files (complete backup).
Otherwise you might have problems with ownership, authorisations etc if the USB key has a Windows file system on it...

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Fox,
Taking things in order...The Copy did take a fair time and it was not for some time later that I thought of looking at the contents. I was curious because of using Brasero to put some stuff on CDRW, I came across my /home with the "outer" two sets of file/folders listed as well as my folders. It was clear that the total size given was way above that of /home shown by Scan Home in Disk Usage Analyzer. What I had on the key was much as the latter showed.
Yes I do have all the originals untouched. I have not tried anything clever so far. I was curious how the /home could look so different in content. I have looked at Simple Back-up a time ago and formed the opinion that it was only designed to talk to a network and not a local USB key.
I can understand that I will need the string of Apps listed at the beginning because, for instance, I have Turboprint2 amongst them which is vital to run my Canon i905D printer very well and is not a routine addition to most of the other Ubuntu progs there. The other batch of stuff after my files may or may not be useful for back-up purposes. I must look to see if the whole lot will go on the 16GB key.
Any wise words?
Smiley  Smiley
The key is formatted with ext3 and no partitions. No risk of MSbloat to be seen!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The main issue with add-on deb's like turboprint's are that you will have to have the deb files backed up to re-install it. Just backing up your home folder will not do that (unless you have the debs saved there  ;))
You could create a home partition and move the stuff over to there I have done it before, there are several guides on the Ubuntu forums for it.
Mint has a new program called Mint-Backup that will backup what you have added via apt BUT you need to know the url's for the additional ppa's etc you have added, it doesn't back them up just the list of installed programs (and your home folder if you ask it to) Not sure it if it portable to Ubuntu but it maybe.
I used it to backup my app list, installed Mint 9 then re-ran it to restore my apps. It failed on the one that were in ppa's until I added the ppa's to the sorurces list then restored them.
VileReynard
Hero

Not sure I understand - but was it something like:-
\
  \home
      \user directory 1
      \user directory 2
etc
I would recommend that you record your licence key for Turboprint (I have a yucky Canon printer too).
Install sbackup and configure it to backup \home - by default it includes other things.
IT DOESN'T BACKUP VERY LARGE FILES; but it puts everything else into a single gzip file.
Have to admit that restore (except for just a few files) is problematic.
But you could burn this file to a DVD / flash key - it should only be a couple of GB - and the system runs it as a background root process.

VileReynard
Hero

Turboprint:-
Run the tpsetup command as follows:-
jeremy@HECTOR:~$ sudo tpsetup
[sudo] password for jeremy:
TurboPrint V1.96-2 (27-JUL-2007) (c)ZEDOnet GmbH
Ser.No.99999999999999999999 registered to Jeremy Boden,
Private license for 1 user
Not for business, governmental or educational use
===================================
Turboprint Setup - Main Menu
===================================
Nr.Def.Short Configuration              Connection    Output      State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 lp  Canon Canon_PIXMA_iP1300        Local Printer usb://Canon acc=1 start=1
<number> - Administration of a printer (rename / set device / delete)
      D - Default printer
      A - Add printer
      Q - Quit without saving
      S - Save changes & exit
Your choice: q

P.S. I do have a serial number/licence Cheesy Cheesy

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I had problems with turboprint V1.94 on the last couple of releases, due to a missing library, it would install but not run, if run from the command line it said what library was missing but not otherwise. This was with a demo version  Huh
I can't afford the £25 they want for a license so run Xp in a VM for the odd time I want to print a CD/photo  Shocked
colintivy
Rising Star

@ Jeremy
I must have confused you, all my folders are prefixed /,,I do not have a WIN partition and therefore none with a \. The three bits of /home only appear when I look at them in particular ways. If I just specify /home/colin I only get my own folders listed which I first saved on the key. This did not seem enough, hence my query. I will have a think when i have a few moments But thanks so far.
@Hairy Biker,
I have had no trouble with Turboprint2 which does what it says on the box. It does have an unimportant quirk in that it sometimes tells me that I am printing on US letter size paper when everything is specifying it to be A4 (and prints like A4). I will look for the debs, again when I have time.
I did spend the 25 quid and really have not regretted it, don't know if that is time-limited but it was installed a few years ago. No VM or XP.
@A Fox,
tpsetup.
I did not know that data was lurking under the bonnet, must have a look at mine which must be similar
Smiley Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Embarrassed I mixed up my \ and / keys  Embarrassed
Try (after reading man du)  Cheesy
sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /home

This should show approximate sizes of your top level directories in /home.