cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low cost telly

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Low cost telly

Just purchased a low cost telly (£99.99) from Aldi with 3 year guarantee, picture & sound are ok for the money,  inputs include scart, usb, rs232,hdmi, plus a load of others.
I Have no need to use it as a monitor and if I wished to do so it would be just a matter of plugging in the RS232 cable but what's the usb port for ?
Is it just to play back stuff just recorded on the computer and if so is there any way I can set up (as cheaply as possible) some sort of cordless connection to allow me to play stuff on the TV. ? would a bluetooth connection work ?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Low cost telly

Maybe this answers your USB query:
Coming with a built-in DVD player, the Sharp LC22DV510K is ideal for anywhere where space is tight. In addition to the built-in DVD player, the LC22DV510K comes with a versatile USB socket. Not only will this let you playback video, audio and photos but its two-way capability allows you to record, too. Simply connect up a suitable hard drive and you can use it like a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) to record all your favourite TV programs. You'll also find an HDMI socket that's perfect for connecting a Blu-ray player or HD games console. SCART, component and a PC socket are included, too. For private listening there's also a headphone socket. Finally, a coaxial digital output lets you plug the TV into a digital audio system for enhanced sound.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

My TV has a USB slot and it is used for upgrading the firmware
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I have one of these .....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/EvoDigital-Premier-8-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/113325752?_refkw=touch+scree...
which I use in the car, to entertain myself, while `er indoors is shopping.....  Roll eyes
I mostly have music videos, which I sometimes watch on the TV, by plugging in the "download" connector, to the USB slot on the tv... works brill... nice to see the artistes on BIG  screen with a decent sound system provided by the tv speakers.
Fixes: 174

My next door neighbour has a cheap LCD TV in the kitchen. It has a USB port into which is plugged a memory stick.
He records programs on it for later viewing.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some of the Technika (Tesco Brand) TVs have a USB socket, on some models you can record but others will only playback files recorded on a PC or similar.
Do the instructions not give any clues?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
would be just a matter of plugging in the RS232 cable

No. but you probably mean VGA in which case yes.  My (limited) experience  with TV monitors is that they don't necessarily support a wide range of display resolutions.
My TV will play audiovisual files on a USB stick.(but not record)