Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low cost telly

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Low cost telly

Just purchased a low cost telly (£99.99) from Aldi with 3 year guarantee, picture & sound are ok for the money,  inputs include scart, usb, rs232,hdmi, plus a load of others.
I Have no need to use it as a monitor and if I wished to do so it would be just a matter of plugging in the RS232 cable but what's the usb port for ?
Is it just to play back stuff just recorded on the computer and if so is there any way I can set up (as cheaply as possible) some sort of cordless connection to allow me to play stuff on the TV. ? would a bluetooth connection work ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Low cost telly

Maybe this answers your USB query:
Coming with a built-in DVD player, the Sharp LC22DV510K is ideal for anywhere where space is tight. In addition to the built-in DVD player, the LC22DV510K comes with a versatile USB socket. Not only will this let you playback video, audio and photos but its two-way capability allows you to record, too. Simply connect up a suitable hard drive and you can use it like a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) to record all your favourite TV programs. You'll also find an HDMI socket that's perfect for connecting a Blu-ray player or HD games console. SCART, component and a PC socket are included, too. For private listening there's also a headphone socket. Finally, a coaxial digital output lets you plug the TV into a digital audio system for enhanced sound.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My TV has a USB slot and it is used for upgrading the firmware
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have one of these .....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/EvoDigital-Premier-8-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/113325752?_refkw=touch+scree...
which I use in the car, to entertain myself, while `er indoors is shopping.....  Roll_eyes
I mostly have music videos, which I sometimes watch on the TV, by plugging in the "download" connector, to the USB slot on the tv... works brill... nice to see the artistes on BIG  screen with a decent sound system provided by the tv speakers.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My next door neighbour has a cheap LCD TV in the kitchen. It has a USB port into which is plugged a memory stick.
He records programs on it for later viewing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Some of the Technika (Tesco Brand) TVs have a USB socket, on some models you can record but others will only playback files recorded on a PC or similar.
Do the instructions not give any clues?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
would be just a matter of plugging in the RS232 cable

No. but you probably mean VGA in which case yes.  My (limited) experience  with TV monitors is that they don't necessarily support a wide range of display resolutions.
My TV will play audiovisual files on a USB stick.(but not record)