cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 'Sent Items' in Outlook Express'

robertb

Lost 'Sent Items' in Outlook Express'

Last Wednesday I found I had no connection to the Internet via Plus Net -after almost 2- days this was sorted, however my Outlook Express was totally different in lay-out and my 'Sent Items' folder
was missing, Plus Net advise that  the loss of my connection was not the reason for the loss of the Sent Items folder.
Can anyone advise on this issue & perhaps help me to solve this.
robertb
6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Lost 'Sent Items' in Outlook Express'

Sounds like you have had some corruption / disruption of your mail filestore?  Are any other files or folders missing on your PC?
You could check whether the 'Sent Items' folder exists.   
Using Explorer, navigate to Documents and Settings/username /local settings/application data/Identities/{00383B5B-9C64-47D6-9483-D3A1349492AC}Microsoft/Outlook Express
In this folder you should find a .dbx file for every folder that you have in Outlook Express?
Warning 1:  You may need to allow the option 'show hidden folders' to be able to see /local settings/.........
Go to explorer/tools/folder options  then select the 'View' tab.  'Hidden files and folders' is about 10 lines down.
Warning 2:  It is possible that the files have been relocated elsewhere by user configuration.
It may pay to do a search of your Drive for .dbx files to see if there is another location where your files may be.
After all this, if it's gone - it's gone.
Let us know the outcome.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Denzil
Grafter

This is a good reminder of why everyone should keep a backup of important stuff!
robertb

Maurice2
Thanks for your reply, I have just returned from a necessary away visit and will try all your advices, & return to you with results.
Robert2 Wink
robertb

Maurice2
I have followed your advice & found 2- lost files, 'Sent Items'-75KB on DBX file, & 'Deleted Items'-7355 KB on DBX file.
On trying to recover these as recommended by the system both advises are--'.File cannot be found this file may have rolled off the end of the history buffer'
It therefore seems that all is lost permanently.
Many thanks for your help & interest.
Robert2
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

The deleted items Folder is not really a concern - unless you disparately want something you know that you deleted.  Even then it's tricky  Cheesy
The SENT ITEMS.dbx file.  Can you see it in the folder?  If so all may not be lost - there are tools available to 'fix' the file try Googling for one.  I'm at work at the moment, so not enough time to do the search for you.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robertb

Thanks MauriceC
Yes your right -the deleted file is not  necessary - although I would like to get rid of the contents to save space,
I have downloaded 'Recoveryfix' trial version, but it does not run a fix when I enter DBX file names, probably because I'm missing something.
RobertB