cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost DVD-RW Driver

ctormey

Lost DVD-RW Driver

Hi,
I recently updated my Laptop, Acer 9301 AWSMi, running Vista Home Premium, with Micrsoft Updates which killed my DVD. I followed instructions to amend the registry to correct problem but unfortunately deleted the driver for the Slimtype DVD-RW SSM 8515S ATA drive. Even using Driver Detective I have been unable to find a driver for this DVD. Acer want me to send the Laptop back for 'repair' or re-load the op system (ouch).  Cry
Does anyone have the driver for this DVD drive and would they be willing to send it via email please? 
9 REPLIES 9
Njal
Grafter

Re: Lost DVD-RW Driver

Have a look at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
It may not apply to you, but I can't immediately see any drivers listed for this drive, so the problem may lie elsewhere.
A quick Google indicates you have a common problem, and the above KB article seems to have solved it for some people.
Note that my knowledge of Vista is pretty close to zero! (XP, OSX and Ubuntu here. I feel that 3 machines are the absolute minimum that anyone should own. My wife thinks differently).
Regards,
Neil
samuria
Grafter

Have you tried this page?
http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/12/windows-vista-%E2%80%93-missing-cddvd-rom-drive/
You should need any drivers for a dvd as any O/S should detect them and have drivers built in. Have you deleted it from device manager and see if it re finds it?

The other thing to do is boot from a CD with Xp Vista or Linux just to make sure the cd is ok if it fails to boot then there is a fault with the drive.
mathewrennie
Dabbler

Hi all the drivers for this laptop are available at:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9300.html

Or you could try the following:
Try a registry edit:
1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    -SYSTEM
      -CurrentControlSet
          -Control
            -Class
                  -{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilters.bak
LowerFilters.bak
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer
Cool Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.
Let us know how you get on!
ctormey

Thank you guys for your information but, unfortunately I had already deleted the registry keys.
I uninstalled the device in Device Manager, re-booted and the DVDRW was found and the system tried to find the drivers but was unable to find them/it on my laptop or on the Internet.
The Drivers information on the Acer website does NOT include the driver/s for the DVDRW.
The other site suggested gives lots of info and successful stories of recovered DVDRWs but not one for lost driver/s.
I find it quite incredible that Microsoft and Acer are unable to help with the appropriate driver other than to return the laptop at cost for upgrade/repair or to reload Vista with all the trouble that entails.  I have 12 years experience in Software Quality Assurance and the support offered by them is abysmal. I know the DVDRW is NOT faulty it is just a question of obtaining the correct Driver. Oh, for a heavenly angel with the nouse to find the correct driver and email it. So simple, but appears to be beyond these so-called experts.
Thanks for you help but is there another solution? Please!!!!!! Undecided
P.S. The Microsoft Support site does not recommend deleting the .bak files.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A quick look at the Acer site http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9300.html ; showed the nVidia chipset driver which should include the ATA driver.
Should be worth a try.
samuria
Grafter

The drive appears to be a Liteonit
http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=154
Can you confirm that you can boot from it with another O/S be it Xp vista linux from the drive? You need to do this to ensure the drive actual works and its not a drive error that is the problem as if the drive is faulty you will never solve it.
Dont you have a MB cd which will have the drivers on it?
Njal
Grafter

As I mentioned above, I don't have much Vista experience. With XP I would try:
1. Do you have a system restore point you can go back to?
2. A slightly longer shot.
Open Internet Explorer.
Google 'Windows Update'.
Go into Custom Update on the 'Welcome to Windows Update' screen.
Select by Type in left hand pane - Hardware
Does the drive appear in the list of items? If so update.
3. Does a repair installation from the original installation CD work the same way in Vista as XP? Do a repair installation.
Regards,
Neil
mathewrennie
Dabbler

mmm, this is a known problem and usally by removing the registry keys the problem fixes after a reboot..!
Do as others have advised, and try using the DVD Drive by using a boot CD in the laptop and see if the CD Boots,  etc... a windows vista DVD installation or any Windows version original disk.
Apart from what I've said, I can't think of anything else that you can do except backing up your data and reinstalling Vista, whats more important to you?  Taken 4-5 hours to do a reinstall or as it seems taken weeks to get the DVD working again?
You can look here for more information:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/
Regards,
Mat.
ctormey

Thanks to everyone who has suggested solutions to my problem.
I have uninstalled the drive and then re-installed it. The system now recognises it and tries to find the driver software for it but is unable to do so. But if I insert a DVD or CD it plays in Windows Media Centre without any problems. Running NTI DVD & CD Maker finds the drive and requests a disc to be inserted ready for burning.
I don't have a system disc for this laptop.
I don't understand what is going on but the problem appears to be resolved.
P.S. I have emailed Liteon to request support. So I await a response. (It would appear that they only supply firmware on their site).