Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of network access after sleep in Windows 7

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Loss of network access after sleep in Windows 7

I assume that this is a windows problem not a router problem - but I could be wrong
This has me baffled
When waking from sleep mode in Windows 7 usually, but not always, I can't see the local network but can access the internet.
A reboot of the computer always fixes it but disabling and enabling the network card (integrated in motherboard) doesn't neither does logging off and on again
Creating a Network map shows the computers attached to the network but doesn't show the router only the router media centre (this is a quirk from the USB connection on the router which isn't actually present on this model)
Router is a TG582n and power saving on the network adapter is disabled
Any thoughts
17 REPLIES 17
RickK
Grafter

Re: Loss of network access after sleep in Windows 7

Have you checked in CMD to see if you are getting a IP at all? Whether it starts with  a 192. or 169. hopefully from here you can figure out more Smiley
Also I remember there was a issue with the icons, this MAY apply to you, have a read : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937477/en-us
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes I am getting an IP and the XP computer on the network can see the shared files on the Win 7 computer
I suspect that the critical item is that the network map doesn't show the router
This is what the network map shows when it is working - actual computer names have been hidden.
The router in the blue rectangle is what isn't there after waking from sleep
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've heard of various unresolved issues along these lines that started with Vista and are still there occasionally in W7. Never seen a definitive fix.
As for tray icons I've a little batch file on the desktop of my W7 PC to restart explorer.exe with an icon in the Quick Launch area:
@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start explorer.exe
kmilburn
Grafter

It definately sonds like a Windows issue.  My guess would be an issue with the 'Computer Browser' service,  restarting it may help.
Also, while the icon for other computer does not appear in explorer,  is it accessible if you put the name (or ip address) in manually into explorers address bar  (e.g.  \\technicolor).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have found a way round it - it works fine if I disable the router firewall but I have no idea why it doesn't work when it is on the default setting but I assume it is something to do with this
Use this Security Level to allow all outgoing connections and block all incoming traffic. Game and Application sharing is allowed by the firewall.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You would not expect a router firewall to have much to do with the internal network, but then this is a technicolor router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not entirely - this is a Technicolor Router with Plusnet firmware  Roll_eyes
I wonder if a firmware update would help - somehow I doubt it
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

You would not expect a router firewall to have much to do with the internal network, but then this is a technicolor router.
My thoughts too. AFAIK the firewall operates at an IP level, Windows 7 Network mapping uses LLTD (Link Layer Topolgoy Discovery) which is a Level 2 protocol so should be nowhere near the firewall. On a TG582n It should be handled by the internal network switch that connects the four physical ethernet ports or maybe the 'bridge' connecting the logical ethernet ports and the wlan.
Jim, I'm intrigued as to what's going on, would you be interested in trying something for me ? rather than disable the firewall could you try changing the bridge filtering settings
from the telnet cli try
eth bridge config filter=none
you can put it back to normal using
eth bridge config filter=no_WAN_broadcast

See if that makes any difference...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The only difference is that there are no discovered devices on the network map
Will now need to reboot to get the network back
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Maybe something to do with the igmpsnooping?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The only difference is that there are no discovered devices on the network map
You mean none at all, not just a lack of the TG582 ?
Do you have just one W7 and an XP computer on the network ? and does the XP system have the LLTD responder installed ( don't think its standard on XP )
I can't discover whether the TG582 has an LLTD responder or not, presumably it must have something as Windows seems to have got some details about it...
Maybe something to do with the igmpsnooping?
possibly.. The really strange one is, as you said earlier, what has it got to do with the firewall ?
The other question is 'why should it matter that network discovery isn't showing the router' ? surely if the Win 7 system has the correct IP address it shouldn't have any problems accessing the local network ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The only two devices which would appear on the network map are the router and that silly USB media centre which isn't there as there aren't any others connected.
LTTD responder was installed on the XP computer otherwise it wouldn't appear on the network map at all - I did this when I first went to Vista before upgrading to Win7
Like you - but from a position of greater ignorance - I really don't understand why the TG582n does it. However when I was using the Netgear DG834G v4 (no longer used as it was rapidly failing) it did happen very occasionally for no apparent reason but when it did the XP computer couldn't see the Win 7 computer either. This may well be a red herring as the reason the Netgear failed was on the LAN side not the WAN side.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but from a position of greater ignorance
not sure that's true Jim Smiley
I think I need to go a read a little more about LLTD, see if I can understand more about how it works in detail...

Oldjim
Resting Legend

To save you going down the wrong track - have a look at my post - reply 2 - the problem isn't related to the XP computer but the fact that Win7 doesn't see the router in the attached devices list and as such can't access the network