cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of 2.4 GHz wireless when running BT Sport on you view box

pitt9178

Loss of 2.4 GHz wireless when running BT Sport on you view box

I am having an issue when i watch BT sport of the youview box, it is affecting the 2.4GHz wifi, dropping it in and out. Any suggestions on how to fix?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Loss of 2.4 GHz wireless when running BT Sport on you view box

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by wifi 'dropping in and out'? Are you monitoring the signal level with a wifi sniffer and the actual signal disappears or is it that the speed on other devices reduced when you are downloading data?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pitt9178

The devices on the 2.4 like the PS4 and the Alexa, stop having any connection to the WIFI and other devices that i can see on my router are visible and are using internet then i lose them for a time then they come back.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

What router are you using. How is the youview box connected.

It sounds like the multicast traffic is being broadcast across the 2.4GHz channel and saturating it.

IGMP snooping in the router should stop that happening. 

pitt9178

My router is an ASUS RT-AC51U.

My youview box is wired directly into the router

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I don't have that router, but a quick look on the internet suggests that there are setting  to Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy). This will need to be enabled to stop the router forwarding multicast packets to all its ports (including Wireless) 

I can't find detailed instructions for your specific router but you can find instructions for the RT AC68U  (assuming it uses similar firmware) at https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Asus-RT-AC68U-and-Multicast/td-p/1393081

Plusnet's TV is BTTV, so instructions will be the same. You might find more details if you dig further.

pitt9178

Thanks for this, i did already have the Multicast enabled but the link to the BT site has helped, it popped up the link below, which seems to have solved my problem so i thought i would post here just in case anyone else is having this problem.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac87u-problems-with-bt-television.22319/