cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connection to the web

hulls
Grafter

Losing connection to the web

As folk may know from previous posts, I recently got a new router (the DLink one offered by PN)  I'm very happy with it generally, but I've noticed a couple of times in the last week that it has lost connection to the internet.  Computers can transfer data etc between each other, just not go onto the web.
In each case, the DSL light was on green, but the status light was flickering.  Turning the router off for a few seconds and on again fixed it, but is it a router problem, or is it more likely to be the line?
John
6 REPLIES 6
donne
Grafter

Re: Losing connection to the web

I used to use a D-link DSL-604 with which I noticed an apparent loss of connectivity to the web, happening every few days or more often, although the modem status always reported the ADSL as connected.  As you say, the solution was to turn the router on and off.  Eventually I got fed up with this since it was happening so frequently and I installed in its place the Thompson TG585.  My experience over a period of some weeks is that the Thompson provides a much more stable ADSL link.  I've no idea why that should be - I put it down as a 'feature' of the D-link.
samuria
Grafter

When it drops again open a cmd prompt (start/run/cmd) and type
ping plus.net
ping adobe.com
ping 212.159.8.2
and see if you get a reply.
If you dont get a reply from the first 2 but get one from the third then its a dns issue
Do a ipconfig /all and let us have the results.
I was wondering if you have the dns set to the router and the router is live on the internet ok but the dns on the router is failing.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Samuria.
The router is set to: Obtain DNS server address automatically.
I'll  write down your suggestion and try it next time.
John
Edit
I did an ipconfig /all and it says the DNS on my computer is set to the router address.  Is that what you mean?
J
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try changing the DNS settings on your PC to 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.13.49
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi,
I've been having similar problems with my DSL-2640B. On average about once a month the router drops the connection and I either have to go into the router web page and do a reboot or turn it's power off and on. This then fixes it for another thirty days or so. Mostly the loss of connection has happened overnight but on the last occasion I had started noticing spasmodic loss of connection for a few days and this eventually became so bad that I did a reboot and again that fixed it. It's definitely dropping the ADSL line - I can always get the router's web page.
Has anyone got any further with this? I have been trying to get help from DLink but I've failed to access their so-called 'Self-Help Portal' (after registering it refused to accept my password then locked me out after three tries) and when I emailed their Customer Services I got a one-line response asking me to 'phone. So far the number they gave (same as published on their web page) is unobtainable. I'm getting rather frustrated and angry with them, and based on my experience so far I won't be using any of their products again.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

From the PlusNet service status page:
"10/07/2009 @ 16:01 DNS Resolution & Web Browsing Problems (57301) - RESOLVED
This is an update to yesterday's post about the problems some customers have been experiencing this week with web pages and other internet applications intermittently failing to load.
We have been monitoring the platform since the last update and we're now confident that the problem is fully resolved.
Sorry to those of you who have been affected by these problems over the last week or so.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support"