Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lord Mandelson asks illegal filesharers to complete their downloads by 2011

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Lord Mandelson asks illegal filesharers to complete their downloads by 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/28/mandelson-date-blocking-filesharers-connections
He says that people with copyright protection that already extends beyond the grave deserve extra-special government protection.
So you might have your internet connection terminated if someone uses it for an "illegal" fileshare - from 2011. Grin
Hence it is very important that you do as much illegal stuff as possible in the next couple of years.
Logic?
What does Mandelson know about logic!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7 REPLIES 7
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Lord Mandelson asks illegal filesharers to complete their downloads by 2011

Well it will save someone some money
Costs would exceed savings on Mandelson plan, ISPs say - and streaming companies not eager either
Implementing "three strikes" rule would weigh down ISPs while bringing music industry no benefit - and streaming companies unhappy
Lord Mandelson's proposals to cut off "persistent" file sharers do not make financial sense, according to estimates of its cost put forward by those who would have to implement it.
British Telecom and Carphone Warehouse estimate that running the enforcement system would cost about £2 per broadband line per month - a total of £24 per broadband line per year. With 17.6m broadband connections in the UK as of September, means it would cost £420m annually to run a system to defeat a problem the music industry complains costs it £200m per year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/oct/28/costs-piracy-filesharing-mandelson
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

With the increase in flash usage (and hopefully improvement in quality), I can just use Firefox plugins to capture the
audio and/or video. Once converted into a sensible format I can burn them to DVD...
I wonder how well this would work with Spotify - I can strip out the adverts. Smiley
I wonder whether a binary news feed would be worthwhile if run overnight?
Don't forget the TOR network - this effectively anonymises your ip address, as seen by the remote end.
Sounds like this 80GByte daytime limit Premier account is just the ticket! Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

First up, http://www.ipredator.se
"problem" solved. Very reasonable price too.  (I have a beta account.. it works very well :D)
Next up, convincing everyone to run a BTFon wireless node, or a completely open wireless node.  Surely they can't kick *everyone* off the intarwebz?
Last up, those general elections in the next year or so look like a great place to make your voice heard.
B.

thejudge
Rising Star

"Lord Mandelson asks illegal filesharers to complete their downloads by 2011"

With 'traffic shaping' the way it is, I reckon we'll just about manage it!
Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Not a the speeds I am getting these days!!!!
The fasted thing around here is plusnet going down the pan!!!!!!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Axisofevil
I wonder how well this would work with Spotify - I can strip out the adverts. Smiley

Audigy Sound Card record what you hear works very well  Embarrassed
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Barry
First up, http://www.ipredator.se
"problem" solved. Very reasonable price too.  (I have a beta account.. it works very well :D)
Next up, convincing everyone to run a BTFon wireless node, or a completely open wireless node.  Surely they can't kick *everyone* off the intarwebz?
Last up, those general elections in the next year or so look like a great place to make your voice heard.
B.

Well said that man!
Quote from: chillypenguin
Not a the speeds I am getting these days!!!!
The fasted thing around here is plusnet going down the pan!!!!!!!

LOL
So PN, there we have it! Get rid of the speed restrictions and come 2011 you'll save a packet anyway as file sharing will apparently drop through the floor!
Either that or millions of extra people will do it just to flood the ISPs workload and make the whole plan unworkable. I'd like to see the governments reaction to 90% of internet users being thrown offline. No more online convenient bill payments, no postal service to carry cheques.. how else are they going to get their hands on our money then? - The day they pluging to our bank accounts without consent will be the day that bank accounts start closing all over the country.
Not only that it raises further interesting questions too. What happens if you get disconnected? Surely you can then stop paying your ISP - because you're not receiving the contracted service. Under contract law alone that would leave many ISPs liable to legal action from customers. If the government circumvent that with further legislation then they're effectively tearing up the rule book on contract law and no contract will ever really be enforceable again! That being the case surely the ISP would be forced to unblock the line and allow another ISP to supply a service.
Frankly I really can't see any of this working. As Barry said, if people start opening their wifi connections and getting disconnected there will be a lot of unhappy shouters out there and a lot of dead internet connections with people refusing to pay. There is no way the government will want to kick most of the country offline because it will effectively send us back to the dark ages and as I mentioned above that will leave the gov in a very difficult 'e' position too. It also won't do their plans for fighting terror and crime much good either. Lets face it legal or not we all know the security services help themselves to e-info from peoples connections.
Personally I like the plan Lilly Allen came up with - persistant file sharers get their connections slowed down instead. That way everyone just switches to encryption instead. Then the onus is on 'them' to prove whats being downloaded.
Personally I think dongles are the way forward. I noticed one mobile phone outlet (forget the name) which is now giving away dongles which also act as wireless routers for the whole house! Just plug in, get 3G connected and you've then got a wifi signal everyone else can use too. With the ease and availability to obtain 3G sims are low prices I'm sure it won't be much of a problem if those face restrictions. Then you've got those clever hackers that will no doubt release software patches to update dongles mac address's etc...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!