Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new VDSL modem/router

grm
Dabbler

Looking for a new VDSL modem/router

Hi,
Recently migrated from Sky ADSL to Plusnet Fibre after our cabinet was upgraded - download speeds have gone from 1.4Mb/s to 76Mb/s  Shocked
For the last 3+ years I've been happily running a Draytek 2830n, it provides the features I'm looking for such as category based web filtering, QoS, VPN, bandwidth management, guest SSID etc.
However, I'm only able to get ~40Mb/s from it via WiFi. It will happily do 76Mb/s over Ethernet and the 2704n supplied by Plusnet will also do 76Mb/s over WiFi. Have spent the last few days trying to coax more out of the Draytek WiFi without success.
Would prefer to get something with an integrated modem for the aesthetics. Budget is up to £250.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Looking for a new VDSL modem/router

That is the first time I have had anyone advising that the 2704n wireless was better that a Draytek 2830n with it's three external aerials
Others will no doubt give suggestions but my first thought is why is it so poor in comparison to the Plusnet bargain basement router
grm
Dabbler

Indeed it does seem strange but I've done a factory reset and applied the latest .rst firmware to the Draytek and with no other config applied it is still maxing out at ~40Mb/s. Tried disabling 802.11a and b, cycled through all channels, disabled WPS/WDS etc. etc.
A tad frustrating when the freebie outperforms it by miles....
From looking at their forum the 2860n+ also seems to have WiFi problems so am looking for alternatives.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if your referring to the saturation speed of the router then it;
because the draytec has an older generation chipset and gets saturated at the 40meg limit/
which is a common problem with a lot of devices made before 2014.....

if your looking for an all in one device there are plenty of options but I would say your likely to struggle to find something beefy enough to do what the draytec does as an all in one /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
thunderer
Grafter

The Draytek 2760 is meant to be very good, but it's somewhat pricey at between £140 (2860n) & £220 (2860ac), but you get what you pay for, you'll more than likely find that it will be better than the Billion 8800 NL or 8800 AXL for coverage.
If you choose the latter you may well need a Wi-Fi extender such as the 3100SN (A right pig to setup, it took over 18 hours of fiddling to get it to work!) or other extender should you have thick walls in your house.
A Billion 8800 NL is the cheap one around £67 which accepts both ADSL & VDSL (BT Infinity/FTTC) or the 8800 AXL (which is its slightly newer brother) which is fundamentally the same but  has the capability to link a 3G/4G LTE modem & SSD/USB drive to it as well & that's around £130 mark.
The SN3100 is around £48 & the 3010ND USB Wireless dongle is about £30.
grm
Dabbler

Thanks both. Amazon should be delivering a TP-Link WA901ND Access Point some time today, will see what wifi performance that delivers. May end up going for the 2860ac when it comes out, Draytek sales are now quoting May.