Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a NEW printer

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Looking for a NEW printer

I`m looking for a new Printer.... I have been using HP printers for the past XXXXXX years, and find them "quite good".... I particularly like the front loading of paper. as the printer can be on a sliding shelf under the work bench. and not taking up room on the top deck.!..
my actual printing requirements are not "daily".... I will probably want to do a "batch print" of A4 and smaller size photo quality prints, which could take (say) one day, then the printer may not be used to such an extent, maybe for the odd letter or similar, for quite a while..... this brings me to the problem of "blocked ink jets"... due to lack of use for possibly a month or more...
On the one hand, HP cartridges have the print head included, and are "relatively" simple to clean, by virtue of the fact you can take them out of the printer to do the job,... not always a successful operation though.. and HP has the front loading bit... the cartridges (344) are not the cheapest system, but you do get a "new" print head every time! ! )
Does anyone know of another "front loading" ink jet printer..?
I have looked at Lexmark, Canon, and Epson...... they all have their good points....  but also have the problem of cleaning the print head should it become blocked....
One I looked at, is a Lexmark, that came out last year, has a 3 year guarantee, and free replacement of the print head within the guarantee period.... unfortunately, the review does not give a good report on the print quality, being only 8 out of 10...
I think the Canon had a print head that could be removed to clean, so that may be a possibility, but again the print quality was given 8 out of 10,  (mainly on the colour representation, being slightly weaker colours)... This may not be a problem IF there is a software way of increasing the colour contrast. as I think the reviews only print using standard settings...
Epson, while having the cheapest cartridges, seem to have the worst reputation for blocked jets,. can you remove the cartridges and store them, once they have been fitted?
.whilst when actually working properly, gain a 9 out of 10 from the reviews on print quality...
The type I am interested in, is a "printer/copier/scanner"  without the fax bit.... as I won`t need that, and figure you are paying for something you won`t use...!...
so.... what do you all recommend / disapprove of, from your own experiences....?
23 REPLIES 23
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Looking for a NEW printer

I have used Canons for the past XXX years, I don't use a multi one, preferring to have a separate scanner for the odd jobs I need scanned (Again a canon one a Lide I got from Freecycle  :D)
I have no issues with the photo quality on them but YMMV. I cam currently using an IP4200 (no longer available though), and my old IP4000 was used to print the odd photo or doc then left for weeks between them, with no problems of blocked heads, can't say the same when I used to use an Epson one though, it would require several cleaning cycles to print.
So I would recommend Canon but not Epson, and Lexmark are tied to their carts if I remember correctly, so no cheap carts for them.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had a Brother printer I would not buy another one it got the blocked heads!
I have had a number of Lexmarks thay are rubbish don't tuch them!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter, do you really need photo quality?
Personally I'd go for a separate scanner (if you need one) and laser printer. I like the Samsung range of printers.
No problems with clogged jets, cleaning or dried-out ink with a laser.
And if you need colour laser the cost of ink cartridges will soon be recovered.  Wink
If I do need a "really good" photo print I order it online and get it in a couple of days. Colour lasers are perfectly OK for the odd picture to pass around and enjoy in a group.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lexmark have a cartridge jets as well as the HP
Check the cartridge prices, as usual they can be the same price as the printer,  For example the Samsung cheap laser is a lot cheaper than the Replacement cartridge, but the cost per print is s lot cheaper than an inkjet
shutter
Community Veteran

I do have a seperate scanner, which has only been used , probably, about 10 times since I bought it a hundred years ago.... (when scanners were the next thing after a computer and cost about the same! ! !)..  It still works , so no "real" need for a scanner/printer... from that point of view... I doubt if the scanner part would be used much more in the next 10 years...
We are thinking of "downsizing" to a mobile home, so thinking of "modern equipment" and space saving into the bargain... (if I had seperate printer and scanner then I need somewhere to store the scanner... if you get my drift)...
Yes, Photo Quality is the prime reason for wanting a new printer... and will feature strongly in the choice of unit...  I need  good quality print at A4 size, ....
I think the Laserjet printers are far too bulky to consider, especially when taking into account the price of the cartridges, and of course the initial cost too...
Haven`t come across "Samsung" printers, can you give me an "up to date" model or two, so I can google reviews......
(I did not mention price. but would like to keep it below £150 )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Samsung CLP-320, like most of the range, has a flat tray at the bottom which pulls out forwards to load paper.
You need to check carefully what toner comes with it, many have a half-full "starter" pack which will actually last quite a while.
I have a mono ML-1510 and some friends have a CLP-310.
£150 doesn't buy that much photo-quality ink, but then the CLP-320 isn't intended for top photo quality either.
community
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
..... this brings me to the problem of "blocked ink jets"... due to lack of use for possibly a month or more...

I think that most of these replies havve overlooked your original gripe, namely clogging of the print head.
I also used to have the same problem because I didn't use it for long periods, allowing the ink to dry out.
Since I bought the latest printer/copier from HP I have no further trouble and the reason probably is that it is constantly connected to the
power (when I am using the PC) which means that the printer goes through its "clean head " cycle every time I switch on  and that's several times a day.  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: community
Since I bought the latest printer/copier from HP I have no further trouble and the reason probably is that it is constantly connected to the
power (when I am using the PC) which means that the printer goes through its "clean head " cycle every time I switch on  and that's several times a day.  Wink

All that means is that it is drinking your ink. I had a Brother combi job that did that, I printed about 20 sheets through it and the cart was EMPTY!
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, indeed.... clogged heads, due to lack of use.!... and as for the "auto clean" facility on switch on... I agree with HB that it will drink ink, which I think was mentioned in one of the reviews, or answers to "how do I clean blocked ink jets"...
so... thanks for the input so far... has anyone actually used the new "Kodak" printer that is on T.V. at the moment, which purports to "say goodbye" to expensive inks...  from what I can see the cartridge looks very similar to the old HP *pork chop* cartridge (HP DJ 840 c) and looks as though it might incorporate the print head.... at about £14,00 for a tri-colour cartridge, it is half the price of the hp cartridge of the same size, and has about the same quantity of ink... (unlike the present HP344 which has a measly amount)  I also noticed that the cartridge seems to fit quite a lot of Kodak printers, although I cannot find a "compatible" remanufactured supplier.... so it may be "tied" to using Kodak only cartridges....
Does anyone know if you can remove the cartridges from the Epson, after they have been fitted..... for storage... until the next time they are needed... If the print head was cleaned/flushed after a print run, and the cartridges could be stored, that may be a way around having blocked jets next time....
community
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Quote from: community
power (when I am using the PC) which means that the printer goes through its "clean head " cycle every time I switch on  and that's several times a day.  Wink

All that means is that it is drinking your ink. I had a Brother combi job that did that, I printed about 20 sheets through it and the cart was EMPTY!

Thanks for that I think you are right!
I have now disconnected the printer!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One thing my Canon printer does is after use it sucks the ink back into the reservoir.
I don't know how effective it is but I have never had to clean the jets unlike the Epson I had before
shutter
Community Veteran

What model is it Jim? and how often do you use it?  What is the A4 photoprint quality like?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is the ip4500 but that is an old model
The photo quality isn't too bad but I get a lot better using Jessops
We use it several times per week but then again we used the Epson on the same frequency
I also use cheap inks