Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Ligtweight resource Browser

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Looking for a Ligtweight resource Browser

Looking for a lightweight browser, to replace Firefox as it seems to be taking "forever" to load up a page.. i.e Google search page, takes about 2 minutes to completely load up..( the little spot , top left on the task bar, keeps moving back and forth)

Also, pages seem to take forever.

It MUST be 32 bit.. and preferably LINUX MINT19.3 compatible.. ( not sure if a browser will work through WINE on a Windows dowload)..

Laptop is 7 years old... Intel Atom

P1090954 SYSTEM DETAILS.jpg

Would be useful if I could import Bookmarks, via html format.

Any suggestions  ?

23 REPLIES 23
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Looking for a Ligtweight resource Browser

Try Opera, I still revert back to it every so often.

But I'd be looking at your setup first. 2 mins to load a page? Latest version of FF is extremely quick - blink and its loaded. That's on both Mint and Windows versions.

However do be aware of the large cache that modern browsers seem to employ. Grabbing a gig of memory isn't unusual.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@shutter You've only got 2GB on a 32 bit machine. 😬

Firefox won't be lightening fast...

You won't be getting any functional upgrades soon since Mint 20 will be issued in the next few weeks - and 32 bit Mint won't be supported. If you choose to carry on with Mint 19 you will still get security fixes - but that's all.

Depending on exactly what you mean by compatibility, AntiX might suit or you can choose another candidate from

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix 

It's based on Debian - which supports just about anything.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

If you have the inclination @shutter you may want to open a Developer Console and look at the network connections tab (plenty of resources in the internet to show you how this is done) to see where this lag is happening. But my understanding is that the loader icon (the little spot you refer to) moves in one direction for DNS lookups and the other direction when downloading resources. So it may be a DNS issue you have rather than a 'slow' browser.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... @Mook   @VileReynard  & @idonno  Thanks for your techy help... I shall bookmark this page, so that I can refer back to it... BUT>.. at the moment... the problem seems to have disappeared... Loading up the Google search page still takes a little longer than I think it should... and that black spot thingy still goes back and forth for a while... but the "interference" side of it seems to have disappeared..... for now.. ! 

I have tried OPERA as idonno suggested.. but can`t get on with it...  I think it would be nice if I could have a lighter browser, as the RAM on the machine cannot be increased.. ( not accessible for one)  and according to Crucial... for other similar macines from the same manufacturer, 2GB is the max and should not be exceeded..

Thanks again for your input.

cheers

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Well if you really want to go light weight then there's always wget Grin

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  Huh? Undecided

VileReynard
Hero

@Mook Have you tried elinks - a CLI text browser?

ELinks is a text mode WWW browser, supporting colors, table rendering, background downloading, menu driven configuration interface, tabbed browsing and slim code.

Frames are supported. You can have different file formats associated with external viewers.

I use it (in a script) for some very limited web scraping. 😀

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Sorry @shutter I was trying to be funny. wget is a command line utility for downloading files from the internet and is normally used in shell scripts et al.

VileReynard
Hero

@shutter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_browsers 

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Nope it's something I've never used @VileReynard. But it is worth remembering it just might fit one of those corner case shaped holes.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   Despite trawling through all the information on that link... and then going to other links on the page, and to other links further still..... there is so much information about the technical or facilities on all the browsers listed, none of that information tells me which is the "lightest" or uses the least resources   .... it may be there.. but I just" cannot see the wood for the trees" , as my father would say to me...

VileReynard
Hero

OK I suppose you really need specific examples:- I've just tried midori - its very lightweight but if you are used to a full-featured browser, you will be disappointed.

So I tried Falkon which seems fairly decent, but still lightweight - it may load some extra libraries, but these shouldn't affect things too much. In fact I'm going to leave it installed. 😀

It's mostly choose a browser that is actively supported and try it.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  Thank you for your investigation !... I am sure you know more about what happens behind the scenes, regarding resource management in browsers.... I tried FALKON some time back...yes.. it`s a nice browser... can`t think why I did not continue with it.. unless I started  a new install and forgot about it...

Thing is... I would not know whether Falkon used more or less resources than Firefox, or Opera.. and there is the "rub" as the saying goes..

Thanks anyway.

Wink

VileReynard
Hero

If you want to see the load on your computer install glances and run it in a command terminal (no parameters) it will show all the stats about load etc. To see more info resize the Terminal window.

Approximate example (not mine):-

Screenshot.png