Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Outlook-compatible mail client

KenA
Grafter

Looking for Outlook-compatible mail client

Hello
I use Windows XP with Outlook 2003 (soon to be Outlook 2010) on my work laptop, and also the same on my home PC.  I copy the .PST file containing my home emails between the two so I still have access to my home emails on my laptop when I'm away on business.
So, why am I mentioning this on a non-Windows forum?
Well, I'm migrating my home PC to Ubuntu, but I still want to be able to move the mail PST file to & from the work laptop, but I don't know of any Ubuntu mail clients that will work directly on the PST file.  Those that I have looked at will import from the PST file but maintain emails in their own file format, which means I can't read the new ones again using Outlook if I have updated the mail folders with the mail client on Ubuntu.
So, any mail clients that work with PST files directly?  The analogy is like using Open office to read & write MS Word .doc & Excel .xls files directly without any importing or exporting.
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Looking for Outlook-compatible mail client

Is this to access Exchange mailboxes? If not, do the mail servers offer IMAP (Plusnet's mail servers do)?
If that's the case using IMAP will automatically sync ALL your folders including sent items with the server whenever you connect up so you don't actually have to move anything.
You don't even have to be running the same mail client on each PC. Outlook supports IMAP, Thunderbird supports IMAP and will run on Ubuntu.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Thunderbird will handle .pst files on both M$ & Linux (if you want to try before you migrate)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How?
Thunderbird can import from and export to Outlook pst files (I've imported myself), but I can't find any reference to it being able to USE pst files which is what the OP wanted.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK I misread the original post.  Embarrassed
I don't think there is anyway of using a native client to work directly on the pst file, nasty way to work anyway they are VERY fragile, limited to 2Gb etc.
You maybe be able to run outlook inside wine/crossover but I don't use it and haven't for many years.
KenA
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try Outlook inside Wine.  I use Wine already for a couple of other apps, so it's worth a try.
The reason I can't use IMAP is that not all the POP3 servers I connect to offer it.  In addition, as I'm not always connected to the net while away, I can read and write emails while offline (e.g. on a plane) and send & receive when I next connect.
I'll try Wine next week and let you know how I get on.
backtogeek
Grafter

I use msoffice 2007 with cross over office on fedora.
There are a few funky things you can do with PST's in linux with conversion and imports using cron jobs but its messy
Not applicable

I'll try Wine next week and let you know how I get on.

Did it work? Only thing that I have ever got to work under Wine is Spotify!    Huh
KenA
Grafter

Not got round to trying it yet, too many other things on the go.
I use Wine for Spotify, and I also run ZaraRadio in Wine.  ZarrRadio is a radio automation program for anyone running their own unattended radio station.